Why does my Windows 7 computer crash and reboot?

Dave February 28, 2011

I have single core AMD powered computer and I recently installed Windows 7 on it. It sometimes suddenly restarts. I added new RAM, though the hard drive is a 40GB. I will be working on something and then I get either the blue screen, or I get a screen which says “Dumping Memory”. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

1. WIll

For BSOD error dont rely on the code that it give you.

Makesure your computer is enable to Comfotably run Windows 7: Check system requirements.

CHeck event logs: right click my computer, mange, event logs and system: look ad see what errors are reported

With the information you have given its hard to identify the problem immidiently could you please post more about your system (no personal information Required) this will help me answer your question faster and give you the correct solution

IT Technician

Hello, make sure to disable automatic restart when error occur. This is how to do it:

-- click windows key + Pause/Break key (both at same time)
    -- on box that pops up select Advanced
    -- find startup and recovery heading
    -- click on settings
    -- under heading system failure
    -- uncheck box next to automatic restart
    -- click ok and then ok

Once you set up your computer this way, if there is an error it should should you give you a BSOD or blue screen of death. This screen should give you some possible causes of the error, but what is the most important thing is that it will give you an error code. The error reports go to a folder named minidumps. This software automatically open that folder and tells you what is causing your restarts. You can research your code with software like the following one:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Also you can check the event viewer for errors. When there is an error it would should there and gives you an error code that you can research. To reach the event viewer follow the next steps:

-- click start
    -- on search bar type event viewer
    -- under the logs expand the heading system errors
    -- find the event id number
    -- research it online

Also, it would be a good idea for you to go and download the windows 7 readiness test, so that you can run it and see what components of your system are compatible with windows 7. This is usually the first step to be taken before making the upgrade, because it prevent incompatibility problems down the road.

http://windows7.iyogi.net/migration/window7-readiness.html

Hi
    This could be an indication of a hardware problem or a driver problem, software conflict. Like Antivirus conflict....

So i update all your drivers first and see if will fix your problems. You can also reset CMOS battery and flash the Bios or update it.

if you suspect memory problem.
    1) Downloa the freeware memory tester @ http://www.memtest.org and running an overnight test to check for errors. Memory is extremely volatile component and must be monitored. Any deviation and error can spontaneously reboot or crash or lockup the system.

2) Verify the timings of your memory are exactly as set in your BIOS and they are testing at this timing settings exactly, no deviation is acceptable.

3) Verify you have a processor with ECC on it to accommodate occasional errors that may come up over prolongs periods of computer use. 1-3 errors over a period of a week are an acceptable amount and the ECC can accommodate these but anymore and the system will crash.

This issue may be related to the Intel's power technologies:

· Intel C-State Technology

· Intel SpeedStep Technology

If you are using the Intel chipset, try the following suggestions to see if the issue can be resolved:

- Update the chipset driver and the BIOS to the latest version . You can download it from the manufacturer's website.

- Disable the above two features from BIOS . You can contact the motherboard manufacturer directly to consult the BIOS configuration.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

or

Go To ->

Contol Panel
    System and Security
    Administrative Tools
    Schedule Tasks

Under the Active Tasks panel look for scheduled tasks and disable them like I a task named "RacTask" scheduled to run 1 hour after the power on.

You can also repair instal windows 7, just boot on windows cd and choose upgrade. Final resort is to reformat hard drive and to reinstal windows 7.

Dave,

'dumping memory' is what Windows does to diagnose problems after a crash.

Since Windows has stored memory dump files, it might already be able to tell you what the problem of your crashes is. Go to > Control Panel > Action Center and under > Maintenance click > Check for Solutions.

Since your machine appears to be rather old, my guess is that you have a driver problem. It could be your graphics card driver. Did you try to update the driver?

It could also be another failing piece of hardware.

What is the error code you see on your Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)?
    Check out this article to learn how to analyze the error code.