Why is Windows 7 never called by its real name?

KIKEMAN April 23, 2010

All over the Internet (forums, blogs, official sites, etc) Windows 5 is called Windows XP and Windows 6 is called Windows Vista. Why then is Windows 7 not called by its true name: Windows Vienna?

And by the way, does anyone know how to call Windows 8?

I like my Windows 5!

Thank you.

1. guest

Windows 7 is the name of the operating system. Windows 8 will be the name for the next one. XP stands for eXPerience, and windows vista is just windows vista. 95, 98, and 2000/ME/CE were named after the years they came out in. Windows 1.0-3.1 were the version numbers until windows 95 came out.

Windows 7 is called "7" because if you count the number of the main windows OS's: 3.1, 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, 7.

• jhpot

So wait...2000 isn't one of the "main" OS's? It was their best one...

• Tweek

WAT?

2. Cooldep

Oh I'm sooooooo confused!!!!

3. jhpot

Vienna was a codename, not the name the product was released with. Vista's codename was Longhorn, but it's "real name" isn't Longhorn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_codenames

OK, but let everyone know that the real name of Windows 7 is Windows VIENNA !

And we all remember that Windows XP is Windows No 5!

..... And who knows what is the real name of the Windows 8???

• pceasies

Windows XP is 5.1
      Windows 2000 is 5

I believe they change the decimal for minor upgrades the and number for major upgrades. If you run winver.exe you will see Windows 7 is actually 6.1. Vista was a major release so it was 6. "Vienna" was a minor release so it got a decimal addon. They were also trying to follow a timeline of a release every 3 years, alternating major and minor I think. The next should be the real Windows #7 and should probably contain huge changes such as WinFS (new file system originally intended for use in Vista)

5. Saikat Basu

The numbers were more of an internal thing. For retail, they were given the names we know them with. Windows 7 was a departure. Here's why from the Windows Vista Blog:

While I know there have been a few cases at Microsoft when the codename of a product was used for the final release, I am pretty sure that this is a first for Windows. You might wonder about the decision.

The decision to use the name Windows 7 is about simplicity. Over the years, we have taken different approaches to naming Windows. We’ve used version numbers like Windows 3.11, or dates like Windows 98, or “aspirational” monikers like Windows XP or Windows Vista. And since we do not ship new versions of Windows every year, using a date did not make sense. Likewise, coming up with an all-new “aspirational” name does not do justice to what we are trying to achieve, which is to stay firmly rooted in our aspirations for Windows Vista, while evolving and refining the substantial investments in platform technology in Windows Vista into the next generation of Windows.