Why won’t my Windows 7 64-bit computer remain in sleep mode?

Reginald Bridges May 9, 2010

Every night at around midnight my computer wakes up by itself. I never had this problem until I installed Windows 7 64-bit. Since then my computer has become very glitchy. But this problem is the most annoying by far. Is there any help for me?

Your computer may also be set to wakeup on LAN which means when a program accesses the internet or the internet accesses your computer, it will wake your computer up.

But it sounds like a software issue, or the computer detected mouse movement.

Go to Task Scheduler (on Vista it's located at Start-> Programs->Accessories->System Tools) and see if there are any tasks set to run at around midnight. Something tells me it's either an antivirus program running update/scan or the Windows update.

3. Steve Campbell

Perhaps there is a program installed on your computer (of the OS itself) that is scheduled to run an update or scan of some kind. This might cause the computer to boot back up. Try closing all of your programs before going to bed and see if it does it again.