Why does Windows 7 32-bit restart automatically after I try to shut it down?

biswadip sinha August 12, 2012

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 1564
OS: Win 7 32 bit
Ubuntu 11.14

When I press shutdown button in the OS platform (both in Win 7 and in Ubuntu), the laptop starts automatically. Similar things happen when I try it in Safe Mode (without Networking/ command prompt). When I pressed shutdown, everything goes normal, screen is shut down, Hard disk LED is turned off, but power LED stays on. And within 2-3 sec, Hard disk LED turns on automatically and laptop restarts automatically.
I have licensed and updated Kaspersky Internet security and also checked with Kaspersky online virus removal tool. No virus detected.
I have also tried changing “PowerdownAfterShutdown” value in registry: didnt work. Also tried with “Wake on LAN ” solution: didnt work

Tried using RefreshPC as suggested in this forum: didnt work.

Please suggest some other solution. Could it be a hardware issue.

1. ReĆ½ Aetar

open your computer reset the bios by taking out the battery clean it and turn the computer on if the problem still remains this could be an hardware fault but before going for repair boot your computer with a live cd and shut it down it doesnt restart and all works fine try reinstalling windows

2. biswadip sinha

Problem Solved !!

First of all, thank you each and everyone for your response.

And the trick that worked here was to clean the RAM, plug it in and restart the machine. Off course, there was visibly nothing on the RAM to suggest that it needs cleaning. I just rubbed it with my shirt !!

Also, I opened the battery and plugged it in back. But i dont know if it has any effect or not.
    I could not find any ACPI and Wake on LAN feature on the PhonexBIOS.

But afterall, thank to all of you for your time and special thanks to "ha14" for the trick..

3. GrrGrrr

Does it happens when u r running on battery, or on AC power?

• biswadip sinha

It was happening all the time irrespective of whether I run it on battery or AC Power..but now its solved...

perhaps because of the RAM, take them out and clean them and then replug and restart windows.

• biswadip sinha

This trick worked..Thank you very much..

5. Oron

Anay may be onto something. Otherwise, it's a problem with the laptop's Power Management Unit (not the power supply itself) and you'll need to get a technician to sort it for you.

6. Suman Acharya

Answer here may work for you,

• biswadip sinha

I tried that before, but didnt work..thanks anyway..

Your power supply unit of your laptop is faulty.Replace it quickly to prevent any damage to other components.

8. Anay Chaubal

Its not a virus, neither is it the OS. check in your bios for something called acpi interface, and wake on lan, keep those switched off. I m only guessing here, so you might not have these features enabled in your bios, but its worth checking them anyway.the ACPI is what will actually inform your computer how to behave when the OS sends a shutdown / reboot / sleep / hibernate signal. I think that the ACPI settings are the issue here.

9. Vipul Jain

Could be, also you can check how your buttons & Lid action are assigned.
    Because they might be assigned to reboot instead of shutdown.
    I have that option in ASUS, check if Dell has it configured that way too.