Will Windows 8.1’s System Restore roll back prevent me from receiving updates?

John S June 22, 2014

My Windows 8.1 Lenovo All-In-One PC keeps having recurring problems, specifically with the Windows 8 user interface.

I experienced repeated failings of, on the first two occasions, all Windows 8 apps. Most recently, only the Store app has stopped working. At first I thought it was the operating system, but now I’m convinced its a duff hard drive as I keep getting corrupted file warnings.

I’m going to attempt yet another system restore, but I will have to roll it back past the point where Microsoft’s 8.1 update demands that 8.1.2 be installed or else no more updates will be forthcoming.

Will the system stop me from downloading any further updates, or will I be able to reinstall everything again?

1. John S

Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer; I did use system restore successfully - I have access to the Store app again - although I'm sure it will be a temporary stop gap; app failures happen repeatedly and it's always due to corrupted files that can't be fixed. The Lenovo is an AIO so replacing the hard drive means dismantling the whole thing. I'll continue to limp along with restore as long as I can, but I guess it'll have to be replaced eventually.

thanks for your feedback, if you need any assistance let us know, if you would like to close the thread as solved then choose the best answer from your makeuseof account.

I think the important question is why are you getting warnings about corrupted files?

If your hard drive is indeed the cause then a rollback via system restore won't help much. Best case you gain another few days/weeks before things get worse. Worst case the roll back might fail or result in an even more damaged/unbootable system because the restore point itself is corrupted.

Also the disk activity caused by multiple rollbacks won't do good for a failing hard drive.

I would suggest to run a full check disk followed by a system file check
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/check-a-drive-for-errors
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

windows update will scan your system and will give you list of important or less important updates, no matter your windows OS state. If updates are found then you will be notified or automatically windows will download and you will be asked to install/shutdown or install/reboot.

• Kamil K

John S - Are you asking if you roll the system back to prior 8.1.1, will you be able to get the newest updates (for example, updates in July)?

• John S

I hope you're right, but Microsoft put a deadline on having the 8.1.2 update and said they will not allow any future updates to be installed after it had expired. If I roll my system back to pre 8.1.2 I may be locked out of future updates.

not sure about that, you can always image your windows and then recover if needed. Once you update to 8.1 update 2 then it should be always available for you from your account.
      maybe you will need a new license key with complete installation rather upgrade! or for exisiting windows 8.0 users microsoft propose a low license price for 8.1 update 2 thus allowing to go from windows 8.0 to windows 8.1 update 2 directly!