Will watching and downloading video cost the same amount of data?

Piseth Mao March 27, 2013

I was wondering if watching a video on YouTube costs me the same amount of data plan as downloading it. I heard people saying “Please only watch and don’t download. You will eat up all my data plan if you download”. Is it true? Is it the same between watching a 10MB video on YouTube and downloading it?

1. Uchitha Jayathissa

Yes. If you are watching in same size and quality.

2. Sorison

if your internet connectivity is slow, it will take a higher data plan to watch the video compared to downloading.
    secondly, the device made used of in either viewing or downloading will also determine the amount of data plan that would be utilized but note that it is never lower than the size of the video

3. piseth

Sorry maybe my question is not clear enough. My question is 'does it cost the same "To watch vs To download" of the same video at the same quality let's say 720p'?

4. Flip Wilson

Data is data, either way it gets downloaded to your device.

5. Michael Heffner

If you watch the video then download it of course you're using more bandwidth, but in the case of YouTube, the video does not stream or download from the user, it comes from google servers and has nothing to do with the users data plan.

6. Rocco

To download the movie, or watch it ONLINE costs X amount of data over the Internet.
    Once it is on your machine, it does not cost any amount of data over the Internet to watch, because it is now on your hard drive. You simply made a copy of it.
    It might even show without lags if you downloaded it.

7. SaapeXD MoHods

When you wantch the video, it is being downloaded and streamed. When you download after watching again the video is being downloaded. So double the Bandwidth.

The size of the video depends on the quality mode of the video selected if in youtube (720p or 1080p - Highest resolution videos are high in file size so more bandwidth is required to download them )

8. DalSan M

It depends on the video quality you watch it versus what quality is downloaded. If you watch in high quality, then it will use about the same amount of bandwidth as downloading, but I'd you watch it in a lower quality, then it would use less bandwidth than downloading. Lower video quality, whether streaming from YouTube or downloading, would be the only way to reduce bandwidth usage. The only extra bad that comes with viewing streaming videos from YouTube is the advertisements that you have to watch(whether 5 seconds or its entirety, depending on what is required to view before watching the video you requested to see), which requires even more bandwidth to be used.