Will these programs keep me secure?
Question by ryu S /

I posted a similar question but my situation changed.
For security I have microsoft security essentials, malwarebytes anti-malware, and super anti spyware.
(super anti spyware once found a trojan).
I use firefox 17 with adblock plus, flashblock, mcafee siteadvisor, No script, request policy, and WOT.
I used to use chrome with some security extentions like scriptno, WOT, and siteadvisor.
I still have chrome so I could switch to it easily. I could also use both if that is more secure.
I do not shop online.
What should I do?

• mohit kumar

Here is what I use for maximum security for free:

Anti-virus: MSE
    Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes
    Firewall: PC Tools free firewall
    For blocking malware and ads servers: PeerBlock
    PC maintenance: Ccleaner or IObit Advanced System Care (free version)
    Firefox addons: Ghostery and AdblockPlus

• Adriel Tan

MSE is a good security software, but not great. There are many better alternatives out there, AVG, Avast and many more. Chrome technically is more secure than Firefox, but Firefox is pretty good. But the most important thing of all is common sense. Don’t click on random links or download weird stuff. That will probably keep you the most safe.

• Eath Chantrea

Why not using Free Avast+Combo firewall+Advanced system care+iobit malware fighter for adding another protection layer.

• Aniket Singh

use bitdefender as ur anti virus………

• Md Nur-Un-Nabi Tutul

Mate you can use Advanced system care Pro or ultimate version which will tune up your pc besides providing antivirus facility…it also works as a site advisor…for further information you can check this link http://www.iobit.com/products.html you will find some other useful websites. And browse safely which others have mentioned…

• Dave Rimmer

I would change MSE for Avast free, install Spyware Blaster & CCleaner with a better firewall Zonealarm, you should be fine just be careful and don;t open any file you think is not 100% safe.

A couple of years back or a bit more, under free firewall offerings, I agree that ZoneAlarm used to be the undisputed choice, however since then people tend to do agree that under free offerings, nowadays Comodo Firewall is one of the best. However, for Anti-virus and anti-spyware, the field is really wide open and depends on user discretion and preference. In the recent MakeUseOf poll, MSE and AVAST were the neck-to-neck leaders over others as per user choice. :)

• Dave Rimmer

Avast free is a great program and I have not heard of anyone having problems with it, the same however cannot be said of MSE, I used to use it myself for a short while. Zonealarm has always be a leader where firewalls are concerned however I really never used it myself, I quite like PC Tools free firewall myself. You can dispute all day but will still only use what you consider to be the best. I am very happy with what I use, I have never found the need to erase a virus in over 6 years, but I do a clean re-install of my OS every year and that suits me great.

• Terafall

How about Sandboxie?

• Jim Chambers

Don’t just practice safe browsing, you must use common sence on all internet activitiess including e-mail, P to P network (chat clients), social networks etc. and use “good” passwords.

• Zhong Jiang

You also need to consider the outside framework of how people store their passwords and different activities that may affect the laptop’s physical state. Just don’t be paranoid and suspect that your keystrokes is being recorded through some third party presence, you should notice any weird changes and processes that may be running to alert you.

I use avast free antivirus, super anti spyware, and adblock on my browsers. Nothing ever touched me. No matter what you will use, it’s a must to keep these apps updated.

I guess I have already answered that question, however if you feel that asking the same question repeadedly, throwing up more and more answers with more and more permutations and combinations will help you decide better, be my guest. Best of luck.

However just for your reference again, this is the suggestion I gave at the previous question asked by you.

AntiVirus – Microsoft Security Essentials (Free)
    AntiMalware – Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free)
    Firewall – Comodo Firewall (Free)
    Browser Plugin for IE / Chrome / Firefox – WOT Plugin (Free)
    Mainatinence – Piriform ccleaner (Free)
    Defragmenter – Piriform defraggler (Free)
    Uninstall everything else, update these and use these regularly. Also regularly do Windows Update. You should see a marked improvement in your computer performance along-with a a decently secured environment. Last very important, practice safe browsing habits.

Also kindly remember, any number of installations of security products, will still not make your computer 100% safe. Rather installing too much, too many will have adverse effect on your computer’s performance and may also throw up a few false alarms as multiple anti-viruses heuristic searches may have contradictory algorithm pattern searches and may detect each other as Trojans (false alarms).