Will Skype’s free group video calls be better than Google Hangout?

Rajaa C April 28, 2014

With Skype rolling out FREE Group video calling, do you think Google Hangout may face a stiff challenge now?

1. Ben S

I think it's up to which ecosystem you're already integrated into.

Everyone knows what Skype is, so if you video chat with family or friends a lot, especially the non-technical, then Skype may be better.

Hangouts requires a bit more of setup, but those who need video calling are used to it, so who knows.

Ultimately it depends on the users. Will Microsoft match Hangouts' capability or exceed it?

I think we'll need to wait and see. It's very difficult to predict these things. It may be technically up to the challenge, or perhaps better, or it may not. Then again, it may become very popular (many people are already using Skype) or it may not (many are already using Hangouts for group calls)... There may be a fatal flaw in one system or the other which will put people off using it, or perhaps that one extra feature that will attract new users. There are just too many variables.

3. Marko

Actually, I think not, but not because the quality will be worse, I think there are still some serious security flaws (mainly the one where if somebody knows your skype name he/she can brake in (DOS or DDOS)) in the skype system that have not been fixed.