Will my phone run slow if I use a Class 10 microSD card in it?

mohammad nayef October 6, 2014

I want to buy a 32 GB microSD card for my phone (Micromax A52). It was released in June 2012 and runs Gingerbread.  Now I know that my phone supports 32 GB microSD card, but I am not sure if it will support a class 10 card. A certain website is offering class 10 32 GB microSD card for 16.231 USD.  I am also planning to get a new phone in the future but for the time being I will use my A52, therefore I wanted to purchase class 10 instead of class 4 or 6 . So will my A52 run slow if I put a class 10 microSD card into it?

1. DalSan M

Unless you are running the OS or other major program from the SD card, it will not slow the phone down. Years ago, members of XDA-Developers tested different classes of SD cards and noticed that class 4 cards were faster with random read and write speeds than class 10 cards, but class 10 cards were much faster with sequential reads and writes. What dues this mean in real world use? Almost nothing since very, very few devices were used for dual booting operating systems (such as Windows Mobile 6.5 and Android 2.1 on the HTC HD2), most of which are not used today anymore, and the speed difference in storage would be like comparing a 5400RPM hard drive with a 7200RPM hard drive; slight noticeable performance difference when compared side-by-side, but hardly noticeable in regular use. The main speed difference you may notice is picture taking speed, but memory and processor performance is high enough to compensate for the most part.

Professional Ultra SanDisk 16GB MicroSDHC Card for Micromax A52 Smartphone is custom formatted for high speed, lossless recording! Includes Standard SD Adapter. (UHS-1 Class 10 Certified 30MB/sec)
    http://www.amazon.com/Professional-SanDisk-Micromax-A52-Smartphone/dp/9875904635

32GB Micro SDHC Class 10 Mobile Phone Memory Card for Micromax A52
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-Class-Mobile-Memory-Micromax/dp/B009Y733W2

3. Jan F.

As Bruce said, the class rating only gives an indication to the speed of the SD card. For compatibility the specification is the important factor, SD, SDHC, SDXC.

SD usually being 2GB or less
    SDHC being 4GB - 32GB
    SDXC being 64GB - 2TB

Since your phone supports 32GB, any SDHC or SD card should work.

• Mohammad Nayef

My phone does support SDHC , and thank you for your time .

Considering that the class rating of SD cards is a measurement of the minimum write speed, using a Class 10 card will not impair the performance of your phone. Both the class 4 and 6 devices are slower than the one you are looking at using.

• Mohammad Nayef

Thank you for your reply