Why will my phone detect my new Micro SD card, but not my PC?

Anonymous February 7, 2014

I just got this SD card and when i put it into my computer it does not show that it is even in my computer, i put it into my phone and it found it right away i tried to reformat the SD card but it told me that there was no media found. So I just put a couple songs on it to see if it will work and it still did not work.

1. Michel P

There are 3 kinds of Sd cards. SD, SDHC and SDXC.
    SD is up to 4 gb. with Fat format
    SDHC is up to 64gb. with Fat32 format
    SDXC is from 64gb. to 128gb. and is EXFat format.
    So the reader has to be compatible with the right card.
    A SD reader will not read the other 2 formats.
    And the Os has to be able to read the card format.
    From Windows 7 and on there is no issues.
    But Windows XP does not natively support EXFat a driver has to be installed.

try on another pc to see if it will be detected, if yes then something wrong on your pc

A few potential possibilities:
    - The card reader is faulty (test the card on a different computer or with a different reader on your Mac)
    - If it's an old Mac, a compatibility issue between the card and the Mac. Either the capacity of the card is too high for the reader (>4GB) or that the card is formatted in NTFS and the Mac (having an older OS), won't recognise it.

You can get a better idea of what your Mac is seeing by using the Apple Disk Utility and the System Profiler (Apple menu, About this Mac, More...), which will show you all the devices connected and their status.

4. A. Lawrence

I assume you are using a micro to SD reader. If so and this may sound odd but make sure the notch is
    in the correct position. The notch is a tiny slider which must be in the forward position. Still no go?
    Place clear tape over the notch and SD reader and try it again. No go? Try another USB host and or
    another computer if possible. You know its not the card as its being seen by the phone.