Will my laptop battery be damaged if I use it while charging?
Question by Jhay Lee S /

Will my laptop battery get damaged if I use it while charging? I want to use my laptop but it’s still charging.

• Oron J

There’s an excellent article on the subject at http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

In a nutshell, to extend a Lithium based battery’s life to the max. you want to keep it charged at around 40% and keep it cold. Running the laptop directly on the mains without the battery will help with that, but remember to put the battery in to recharge from time to time so it is not kept deeply discharged for much of the time. That said, most laptops now have clever battery charging algorythms and it hardly makes a difference to battery life if you keep the battery in.

• charles

Use your battery to keep it fresh. Don’t keep your computer plugged in all the time. It’s a good idea to discharge and then recharge your laptop battery about once a month. Also, you should let your battery run down before you recharge it.

• Lisa P

A lot of people seem to be still giving information about old technologies. for the last few years more or less every device with a (semi) integrated battery will be using li-ion. Devices like hand drills use Ni-MH (usually) as they can provide high current, but they are prone to ‘memory effect’ this is basically the cells not losing the full capacity and is caused by charging the battery here and there, a bit at a time. These USED to be used for laptops as well, so it would have been better to fully discharge your laptop, then let it fully charge up.

A non-utter crap laptop would then notice that the battery was fully charged, and stop trying to charge it and just run of the mains anyway.

Like I said, Li-ion is the technology that is used today, better in more or less every way except it can’t provide high current like other batteries (think car lead acid batteries) but this is not an issue for laptops. A basic Li-ion CELL (cell being the key) is a bit dodgy, if you short them or try to draw too much current they can over heat and explode. if they get too hot, they can explode. if they get discharged too much, they can stop working and you will not be able to charge them.

NOTE THAT I AM TALKING ABOUT CELLS THERE!

In your laptop you have a smart battery. It manages the power for you. It stops charging the cells when they are full, and stops giving power when they are too low. Prevents them getting shorted or having too much current drawn from them. The best thing about Li-ion cells though is that you can just top them up here and there, giving them a bit of power every so often, a full charge. They do how ever have a life time of about two or three years (last I checked anyway) and thus eventually lose their max charge (read time you can run of the battery for).

One key thing to consider (depending on where you live) is power cuts, if you computer suddenly lose AC power, it is not healthy. The same for your laptop, if you have removed the battery. The battery works like a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) so you can still use your laptop and turn it off safely.

• Budhiardjo

so, which one is true?

• ModServ LLC.

My laptop is always in charge and the battery is on .. I haven’t face any kind of problems, I think that’s much useful if the electricity has gone off :)

• prabhat

Using laptop while charging doesn’t effect your battery life if the max. charging is set to 80-90%. let me explain it.
    If you normally use laptop while charging, this may accelerate the attenuation of the battery lifespan. so it’s better to set the charging limit to 0 – 90%.

• Dalsan M

*There is a difference in damaging the battery and battery wear. Yes, leaving the battery in and charging while using the laptop, especially when the battery is fully charged, will reduce the life of the battery. This is not damaging the battery, only produces wear on the battery. As others have mentioned, if you intend on using the laptop for a prolonged amount of time, it is best for the battery to be removed from the laptop before turning it on. This will allow you to reduce wear on the battery so when you do need the battery, it can hold a longer charge for use.

• Sujit

There are so many myths regarding this matter.
    There is no harm in keeping the charger on with your laptop and it doesn’t hurt the battery. If you’ve started discharging, go on discharging until it have around 40% is left and by that time, its recommended to charge again. Once in every 3-4 months, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge.
    Another point that should be kept in mind is that battery life is depended on different factors like, temperature, recharging cycle. So when you’re using your laptop with the charger ON, check the temperature and if the temperature is too high, you should check the reason. Sometimes it may be due to improper ventilation or high CPU activity. Otherwise everything is good to go.

• David Bobb

Your laptop will be fine. Do note constantly using it while it’s plugged in and at full battery power will slowly shorten its life. Do not, for example, leave your laptop always plugged in and always on like you might do to a desktop computer as it can shorten the life of the battery. I did this with a laptop before (because I had it plugged into a keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers) and the heat and constantly-on state killed the battery in about 2 years after I purchased it.

• Ahmed

Yes it will.
    This happens with phone batteries, too, I believe. There is no “switch to ONLY AC connection after battery charged” function implemented yet.
    Why?
    Companies want to make money.