Will modifying the registry let me bypass Windows XP product registration?

Hlappy Blappy January 24, 2013

For some reason, I got a desktop.
It runs Windows XP, it wasn’t working at the moment, so I used the Microsoft sticker, AND IT WORKED… The only problem is that now microsoft website says that it is not genuine XP, so i did some searching. I found this website that says to do this:

1. Open up Notepad.
2. Copy the following code and paste it in notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
“CurrentBuild”=”1.511.1 () (Obsolete data – do not use)”
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WPAEvents]

3. Then save it in .reg extension. For example, save it as License.reg

4. Double click the saved file and click Yes if prompted.

5. DONE! Your Windows XP is genuine now.

I am paranoid, so I want to know if this is real… THANKS!

1. Scott Macmillan

It only bypasses the activation.It doesn't make it legal.

2. Indronil Mondal

call microsoft for help they will surely help you

3. Jordyn Bushaw

Doing this would be piracy to Microsoft because you did not activate Windows. If it is asking for you to activate Windows still, and the online activation process does not successfully activate, try using the phone activation wizard, and if it asks how many PCs the product key has been used on say 1.

4. Ahmed Musani

call microsoft US via skype and activate. it's free

5. Tech geek

If you use genuine windows xp so first you do phone activation

6. Achraf Almouloudi

Modifying the registry will probably work and will, on the other hand, probably screw your computer.

• unknown69

If you know what are you doing then editing registry will only solve many problems.

• Achraf Almouloudi

Yes. I actually mean : if the question's poster knows what the code above will do or knows what to touch, then it'll solve the problem, but if the code is malicious or the person just start to randomly change values ... then you know you'll be in the heart of Windows problems.

• unknown69

Even if you are not completely sure what are you doing you can still do something that its called backup_before_making_changes.

• Achraf Almouloudi

Yes a registry backup and a restore point would help but that's only if you still can access Windows or the Safe Mode and things didn't go horribly wrong.

7. Jan Fritsch

The string "DigitalProductId" should contain an encoded version of the Product Key currently used by the Windows installation.

So to answer your question: The one you found on the internet might be genuine but since it is from the internet that is unlikely.

If you have a Microsoft Windows XP sticker on the side of the machine it should have a Product Key which is indeed valid.

Now, you said you used that key but it is still reported as not genuine.
    - make sure you activated Windows via the internet or via the activation hotline.
    - try the multitude of solutions to fix genuine issues with a valid license (see link)

If all fails I would suggest to reinstall Windows as the previous owner might have used some activation "remover" or something that broke the Genuine check.

8. Nevzat Akkaya

Firstly make sure that the License Key on the sticker is for the exact Windows version installed on the PC. OEM/Retail,Home/Professional these are all different editions and require different license keys.

If you have a genuine Windows key then the obvious and logical choice would be for phone activation. If you start messing around in the registry you may be lucky or you may well disable your machine!

• unknown69

It helps If you KNOW what are you doing. No luck required and it will work.

modifying some part of the registry does not make it genuine, it just bypasses the windows genuine activation or WGA so that it won't effect some of the windows softwares from running.

• Hlappy Blappy

Well.... I wanna make it genuine because it is.... it has this annoying logo on the bottom... it says it is a "blocked OEM license key"

if it is genuine key, perhaps you need to phone activation, means you have to call microsoft by phone to activate it.

• Hlappy Blappy

Yeah... but shouldn't it be genuine? Because I used the product key on the microsoft sticker that all computers should have, right?

• Indronil Mondal

maybe be someone saw that key of yours and is using the same and it got pirated

• Hlappy Blappy

Anyways... I'm just wondering if this reg. editor will work...

• unknown69

Why bother? If you bought windows, you can even use a pirated copy instead and its still legal.

activation can also be success with (pirated) copy but some copies are not well done like drivers corrupted...this can cause other stability problems like explorer hangs...

• unknown69

Thats why you trial on error. You can either download and try multiple moded windows xp copies and see which one works best, or altrenatively you can just mod it yourself with nlite to make them suitable to your personal taste. Thats what I did, I modded many dlls to replace icons and edit dialogs and it works better than original (thanks to tweaks)

having perso Windows xp its very good thing:)