Will iOS 7 stop my iPhone 4s from freezing occasionally?
Question by Eric S /

Doing anything on my iphone 4s it freezes from time to time, I have the most up to date version. Is there a way to stop this or will ios7 fix this?

• Tim Brookes

Sounds like you’ve got low space, that’s the only reason I can think as to why an iOS device would get slow. You do not need to close background apps, that’s not going to make a blind bit of difference (unless it’s an actively running app, signified by a red bar at the top of the screen – Skype does this when you’re in-call, for example, and GarageBand does it while saving).

Normal apps like Facebook or Safari won’t need to be closed, and closing them won’t affect the phone’s performance. What’s way more likely is that you have zero free space left on your device and that you need to make some space.

Consider deleting videos, then photos you don’t want as well as games you don’t really play or podcasts you’ve already listened to. You can go to Settings > General > About > Usage to find out which apps are consuming the most space and remove them as you see fit.

Finally failing that there’s a small piece of freeware software called Phone Clean 2, which one of our writers reviewed here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/phoneclean-2-promises-to-free-up-space-on-your-ios-device-but-does-it-work-si/

That software scans you device for unneeded temporary files, leftover used space from uninstalls etc and attempts to tidy up for you. Yaara review it, and it didn’t eat her iPad, though obviously there’s an element of risk involved in letting any third party software have its way with your Apple device. You don’t stand a chance of “bricking” the device this way, though you might lose your data and have to restore from iTunes if something does go awry.

Good luck.

Oh, and FYI I’m running iOS 7 and it’s awesome but don’t go installing any betas, the betas are _slower_ than iOS 6 for the simple reason that debugging is left on. The phone is logging everything for dev purposes, this takes its toll on UX and slows things down somewhat. It’s a beautiful OS, though and one I’m confident you’ll enjoy using when it finally lands.

• Eric

i Have a little over 4 gig of free space on a 16 gig phone. I don’t think low space is the problem. Thanks for your help though!

• Marc M

I am currently running iOS 7 on my iPhone 4S and it works great, and has stopped the freezing that I used to encounter. You still need a Developer’s License though. :-(

• Justin Pot

It’s highly unlikely that installing a beta version of iOS is going to help. If anything, it will make it worse.

• Jan F

Maybe? That’s the best answer I can give you.

I would suggest to close all background apps, then power off and back on again. Navigate ‘vanilla’ apps and settings to see if it is still freezing. Next try App Store apps one by one to see if it is one specific causing those freezes

If you are seeing problems even with the default iOS Apps:

Step one is to restore the iPhone using iTunes and then restoring your data backup.

Step two if it is still freezing is to restore iOS without restoring your backed up data.

Last but not least have the iPhone checked by Apple or a certified partner.