Will formatting a hard drive erase my files on Dropbox?

Anonymous September 10, 2014

I have a 4 year old Macbook that’s got some hard drive damage. Suppose I upload files I want to save to DropBox. Then I wipe the hard drive of the old MacBook.

Will the files I had moved into DropBox still be there when I login to DropBox from another computer? Or, if you erase the hard disk, do they erase from DropBox as well?

1. Usman M

No it won't. Just format you HDD, reinstall Dropbox and your files will be there

The files will remain in the cloud. You're fine to format the drive. When you install a new system on your Macbook and put a new copy of Dropbox, it will sync again and download the files. I do this regularly when working on clients' computers.

3. Ben S

As far as I know, if your files are uploaded correctly to Dropbox then wiping your hard drive won't erase them. Compare this to if you went out and bought a new computer today - after installing Dropbox again, it would sync your files to your new system. This is, in effect, what you're doing when you wipe and reinstall the hard drive.

If you want to be safe, back them up to a flash drive or external HDD first.

Set the Dropbox to sync selectively and disable sync for that folder that you want to keep online in Dropbox.

How do I delete files from Dropbox on my computer?
    https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/40

Hello, Dropbox creates a folder in your harddrive. Once the files in your created Dropbox folder are synced with their server, they are in the cloud.

If you wipe your drive, your Dropbox folder will not be there, but your files should be in the cloud. It is just a matter of wiping the harddrive and then reconnecting the device with dropbox and your files should be there for you to use.