Will deleting photos from Camera Roll remove them from Dropbox Camera Upload?

Fatma October 14, 2014

Hello Everyone,

I need your help if it’s possible.

If I delete my photos from my phone camera roll, will I also lose my photos saved in Dropbox camera roll?

I want Dropbox to be the only app that saves my files in my phone.  I just want to make sure first if that’s possible before I lose my files.

1. benj

I just tried deleting two photos in a folder in my phone gallery. Had two only in there.. I used two phones. One to monitor my Dropbox, another to monitor my photo gallery. I tried deleting one in my dropbox and see what happened in my photos in the phone gallery on the other phone, nothing happened. I did the same thing in my photo gallery and see what happened with the photos in my dropbox account. Nothing happened too..

I guess it is true that once you saved files into your dropbox, you can delete the ones in your phone.

Well see.. I'll refresh my phone and see if my dropbox refreshes too.. I'll check thw photos that have been deleted if they're still there or gone.

As Bruce & Fidelis pointed out, if you import the pictures into Dropbox rather than syncehd them (which is implied by the fact that they're in the "Camera Upload" folder) then you can delete them from Dropbox.
    Just to be on the safe side though, delete a single, unimportant photo from Dropbox and see what happens to it on the phone!

Hello, when you delete pictures in camera roll, either through gallery or photos, you do not loose the pictures in dropbox.

I couldn't find a definitive answer on Dropbox, but TechRepublic reports that once the photos have been uploaded via Camera Upload, you can delete them from your phone without affecting the ones successfully uploaded to Dropbox.