Will anything happen to my smartphone contract if I unlock my iPhone 4S?

Giorgi Basiashvili March 10, 2013

Will anything happen to my smartphone contract if I unlock my iPhone 4S? What will change on my iPhone?

1. kathe tarun

If you unlock it in the legal way then your contract will be safe but if you unlock it in illegal way then You would have to pay “damages” to your wireless carrier. Unlocking Iphones will not remove any applications form your Iphone. It just removes the network restriction from your phone. To unlock your Iphone4s visit this site http://www.mobile-unlocker.com/apple-iphone-4s/rs16wp9/ . Here they unlock your Iphone4s using remote unlocking method.

2. Bishal Mahat

It varies on how you unlock your Iphone. If you unlock it in the legal way then your contract will be safe but if you unlock it in illegal way then You would have to pay “damages” to your wireless carrier (plus any legal fees that might go along with a lawsuit).

3. null

Unlocking iPhones is still legal as long as the device was produced before 2013. So that pretty much just eliminates the I5.

it will void your warranty.

5. Anish P

I would advise against unlocking your iPhone as it is now illegal (hopefully not for long). However, if you are traveling internationally and wish to use your phone, you can call up your carrier and explain to them that you need to unlock it for international use. This is a special case where carriers will unlock your phone. But keep in mind that this unlock is only for international SIMs. So if you have a Verizon iPhone 4S and they unlock it for international use, if you insert an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM, it won't recognize the SIM.

you can also ask a friend who did the unlocking of his iphone and experience with the unlocked version, as always legal ways of unlocking are safer. Only the carrier that the phone is locked to can unlock it. If you unlock it you cant use the contract anymore.
    if you do not sync through itunes then perhaps nothing will happen, If you hack jailbreak the phone then updating or restoring the phone can switch back to the carrier settings. If you want to change your carrier before the contract self unlocking iphone will not help, you are always tied with them.

iPhone: Wireless carrier support and features
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

A direct answer to your question is unless you get your carrier to unlock your phone then you run the risk of either destroying your phone or having the carrier black-list you. All that is assuming of course you get found out.
    Carriers will usually supply the unlock codes for a fee if your contract binding period is up.

8. Jan Fritsch

It depends on how you unlock your phone. If you do it the legal way via your provider (who will probably charge you a fee for that) nothing will happen to your phone. The unlock will be sent to the Apple server and will be forever. If you use third-party methods via Cydia or something you (1) introduce possible vulnerabilities to your phone (2) you will always have to wait with iOS updates until a new working unlock is confirmed and available. Since this usually involves jailbreaking you also run into the risk of permanently "bricking" your iPhone.

9. Mike Case

Now that unlocking is illegal, you could be sued by your carrier. It's (I think) a terrible miscarriage of justice, but unfortunately it's the law.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-happens-if-you-unlock-your-smartphone-now/