Will any antivirus cause damage to an SSD drive?

KamilKozyra March 28, 2013

Hi, how are you? I own a 256GB Samsung SSD. Of the common antivirus or antimalware tools (TDSSKiller, ComboFix, etc) are there any that could ruin or damage my SSD? Thanks :)

Jan is right. There is no increased risk from AV products to SSD as compared with other software, such as the OS or other applications.
    99% of the work AV products do involves reading discs, which cannot harm discs of any kind. Writing is done 1) when updating the database (typically a few times per day), and 2) when removing an infection from a file (or removing a malicious file altogether), which is, after all, why you installed an antivirus product in the first place!

If you want to reduce the read/writes to your SSD thus preseving its life a little then you could move your User folder to another drive.
    The process of doing this is not easy but achievable as outlined in the LifeHacker article listed below.
    If, you should attempt this make sure you backup everything first. I would recommend that you create an image of your SSD so that in the event of anything going wrong you can at least get back to where you were.

http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7

3. Chris Marcoe

I agree with what Jan said. There is no reason certain applications would mess up a SSD but doesn't mess up a HDD. the only difference is you are using "flash" memory, as opposed to writing it magnetically.

it depends if they over read/write then they can shorten the life but normally they shouldnt

you can get more infoe here
    ComboFix and SSDs
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/380844/combofix-and-ssds/

5. Jan Fritsch

Those tools shouldn't pose any higher risk when used on SSDs than they do for traditional platter hard drives. SSDs may use different technology but basically all that stuff happens behind the controller. If you remove e.g. a boot sector virus it will be the same risk on a SSD as on a platter hard drive.

The only "different" risk I can think of would be a virus that was developed to actually make use of the SSDs technology and hides within the over-provisioning part which is not visible to Windows and (to my knowledge) not accessed and scanned by removal tools for the time being.

• somu1795

I think there will be damage to the SSD drives beacuse SSD drives have limited read/writes and as a fact every antivirus program now uses real time monitoring i.e it will be constantly monitoring files and scanning them.