Will adding a external WiFi adapter to my WiFi enabled laptop let me connect to two different routers simultaneously?

Hemant A August 9, 2013

I have two WiFi connections in my house. But I have only one WiFi adapter in my laptop. I wanted to buy a USB adapter, connect the first WiFi with the internal adapter, second with the USB adapter and then use Connectify Dispatch. Is it possible ?

1. nrk

Multiple connections are possible. Normally only one will go to your default gateway (www). The other you can use, as I do, for a printer, storage device, etc. and not take bandwidth from the www to print, etc.

2. Baldo S

bello

3. Zoe

Some routers such as Cradlepoint or Pepwave will let you use multiple inputs and choose a metering plan. This would work in a case of having 3g/4g and Ethernet conectivity or WAN. Some combination.

4. Garva S

Here is the full article with full guide i am already using this because i have a brodband connection and in my town our colony have another one so with 2MBPS+4MBPS my connection get very fast.
    http://androidxdeveloper.tk/fastest-internet-connection/

5. Entrenin

You could use connectify switchboard (http://www.connectify.me/connectify-switchboard-is-now-available/) as an alternative to dispatch.

6. Larson

For linux operating systems you can bind to multiple connections into one and the kernel space driver aggregates and splits for multiple paths so one connection doesn't get overloaded. For windoze there is a program called Dispatch which was developed by the group that made Connectify. It does basically a similar thing as Linux binding. Personally I've seen higher bandwidth gains using Dispatch. Website is connectify.me

7. Tze Yu C

Yes, it is possible. One thing to keep in mind though, Connectify Dispatch will only improve your bandwidth, making it useful in the case of Torrenting. Your Youtube videos will still stream at the speed of the fastest available WiFi connection. Unless you're a heavy torrent user, Dispatch isn't going to do much.

8. Ramón Sesma

You can certainly do that, but this is essentially a matter of connecting to two networks, just as you could connect your ethernet socket, for example, to a "backroom" network for backup purposes, while connecting to the WiFi network for internet access. I am not aware fo any way of aggregating the connections to achieve a faster internet connection...

• Jeff M

You can aggregate separate network connections - I have a specialized router that does exactly that (TPLINK TL-R470T+) as I have two DSL lines coming into my house that I aggregate. It doesn't double the speed but gives me more load capacity.

In any event you need to 'bridge' the two separate IP connections and the bridging software needs to offer a third IP/DNS for your computer can only use one IP at a time.

• Oron Joffe

Jeff, it's true you can aggregate ADSL connections (as you can with other technologies, such as ISDN), but in this case we are talking about aggregating two _routers_, connected, presumably, to different networks. Would your router support that too?

• Achraf A

Connectify Dispatch actually does it.

• Oron Joffe

Brilliant! I'm glad I asked!

10. cl anon

Connectify says it will work

http://www.connectify.me/dispatch/

11. Leland W

You can connect to multiple networks at the same time whether wired or wireless. The question is what do you want to do with it. I use this setup at work to have one computer outside the corporate firewall for those time I need to test things and see what a user at home would see. At the same time I am connected to the internal network. Windows has a setting to set which network connection has priority so it knows which connection to check first. One thing though make sure both routers are on a different subnet. Most routers come setup to use either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. I tend to increment the third octet to differentiate the networks. If you need something special from this setup let us know so we can provide the details you need. Good luck.

• Achraf A

I think you have no idea on what does the asker mean by "Connectify Dispatch" in the question. This is a product that automatically takes multiple different Wifi, 3G, Cable ... connections and puts them together to increase your browsing speed by prioritizing requests based on each connection's current speed in real time.

perhpas to use forceBindIP
    http://old.r1ch.net/stuff/forcebindip/