Will a new battery solve the problem caused by my laptop getting wet?

Anonymous September 20, 2013

My Acer Aspire One AO756 got very wet. It will not turn on unless I plug it into the wall and the battery is removed. Then it runs fine. As soon as I slide in the battery, the computer instantly shuts off. Is this most likely solved with a new battery? Or is there a chance it has to do with the computer itself, in which case money is better spent on a new laptop?

You may want to try someplace like Batteries Plus. At their physical locations, most will allow you to slap a new battery in your device to make sure it works if their testers don't produce a definitive result on the old battery itself.

2. Matt S

I have a feeling some power circuitry got wet, in which case the battery probably is not the problem. Honestly though, it's hard to say for sure without trying a new battery. So perhaps buy one from a place you know easily accepts returns.

And like Oron says, make sure it really is entirely dry.

One thing at at time. First of all, make sure your laptop is ENTIRELY dry. Take the battery out (and remove anything else you can without taking the laptop apart), stand the laptop on its side in a warm place and let it dry thoroughly for a day or two (this depends on which part of the world you live in...).
    Once the laptop is dry, try again. If the problem persists, it *could* be the battery, or it could equally be the power management circuitry on the motherboard. Replacing the battery is one way to find out, the other being to have it checked by a professional. Perhaps you should check how much either option would cost and decide on that basis!

1.Shutdown laptop and Remove battery
    2.Connect AC and Startup laptop
    3. Go to device manager Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (do not delete)
    4) Shutdown laptop and Disconnect AC
    5) Insert battery and Connect AC
    6) Start up laptop
    7) Disconnect AC