Will the 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate product key work on the 64-bit version?

June 20, 2014

I have a 32-bit system that I am going to retire. I bought new 64-bit hardware.

The Windows edition I bought has both the 32 and 64-bit DVDs. Can I install the 64-bit version on my new hardware and use the same product key?

1. Roeland.hekker

Ben S, Hovsep A,

Thanks for the answers. Yes it is a retail license I bought a license for the machine it had XP Pro installed on it. To make the hardware Windows 7 compatible I had to install a graphics card. However even this configuration can only handle IE9. Updated versions will start up fine, but a soon as one performs a search the system bombs, that is the reason why I am upgrading my complete computer.

2. Roeland.hekker

He;lo HovsepA,

Thanks for the answer. Will give it a try. My current graphics hardware configuration is only compatible with Explorer 9. Whenever I install an updated version of IE the system hangs or bombs when I do a search or so.

if your current license is a retail license then you can do that but in order to activate i think you have to do it over the phone. If your license is tied to hardware then when changing your motherboard your License will no longer be valid on other motherboard.

4. Ben S

Yes, it looks like that should work fine based on this Microsoft forum post.

Also, I notice that you're using Internet Explorer 9, which is out of date. 11 is the current version; I'd recommend that you update that ASAP. You can download it from here.