Why does the WiFi require a restart to connect in Windwos 7?

Myke46 November 2, 2011

My wife has a Compaq Pressario CQ50 running Windows 7 Ultimate. Whenever it comes out of sleep mode, the screen flickers a few times (this is the only time the screen flickers) and it disconnects from the wireless. The only way to get it to reconnect to WiFi is to restart the system and then everything is fine. Can anyone give me some direction?

Hello, make sure to check in Windows Update to see if there is any updates for your wireless card.  To be really sure, you have the most recent drivers, visit the manufacturer's site for your wireless card and see if they have new drivers.  If possible, install the drivers the manufacturer's provide.  Also if there is a new driver, uninstall the old one first and then install the new one you just downloaded.  

To troubleshoot this problem, make changes one at the time.  If the troubleshooting step did not work, try the next one and so on.  Have you checked if same thing happens when your laptop is set to hibernate? give it a try.

Have you tried checking your power plan settings?

-- start
    -- control panel
    -- system and security
    -- power options
    -- your plan should set to Balance by default
    -- click on change plan settings
    -- click on chang advance power settings
    -- expand the Sleep settings by clickin on + sign
    -- click on sleep and make sure hybrid sleep is set to on
    -- click on wireless adapter setting and set power plan to Maximum Performance
    -- click on apply and ok.
    -- try to see if it works.

If the settings above do not work, you can try changing your power plan to High performance by following the steps above and try again.  Have you tried, turning the switch on/off when you come out of sleep mode?  Sometimes that resets the connection.

Thanks again guys but I followed FIDELIS's steps and still have to reboot to access wireless.

First of all,I want to thank you guys for your advice.I applied the fix from the provided link in Jeff's answer and,unfortunately,this did not fix the problem.Where should I go from here?

Hello, I would check what the Power Settings for your wireless adapter are.  Also you might as well check, what power plan your computer is using in general.

• Jeff Fabish

Fidelis is exactly right. The network adapter is being disabled to conserve energy, you may configure your network adapter to stay connected during sleep mode.