Is a WiFi notebook a good alternative to an Android mobile phone?

Skypilot October 21, 2010

I’ve been thinking of the new Android cellphones but don’t want to be locked into a contract or an expensive data plan. I’m thinking of using a WiFi notebook instead and keeping my old phone. Any opinions?

1. Ryan Dube

Another thing to consider are your mobile access needs. A Wi-Fi notebook can access the Internet wherever you can find an Internet-ready Wi-Fi network. A Droid with a full data plan can access the Internet with either a Wi-Fi network or the mobile data network. The mobile network, as I'm sure you know, gives you Internet access at some fairly remote spots.

But you've got the limitations of the small screen and application limits, as mentioned above. Although - you could always tether your droid to the laptop and let it use your mobile Internet connection. :-)

• timmyjohnboy

So a good compromise would be to have both.

On the tethering point, look into whether or not the service provider wants to charge for the ability. Many, I think, want to charge for wireless tethering but USB tendering is free. Worth the check see.

2. timmyjohnboy

Personally, my new Android has not completely replaced my laptop. It has however begun to replace many of the tasks I used to do exclusively on my laptop, ie. this comment.

Mike was right and I think he was getting at this: it depends on your needs.

As a plug for the Android option, I have personally fallen in love with the freedom my Android has afforded me. It has actually begun to turn me into a sort of go-to guy for quick answers because I effectively hold Google in the palm of my hand.

Makeuseof has many articles with tips and tricks, and things you can do with an Android phone:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tags/google-android/

Also check out this article with some tips to consider while looking into buying an Android:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/buying-google-android-phone/

The correct question is: Can an Android phone replace your notebook? And to answer that you will have to be more specific.

For example an Android phone won't be able to run your favourite Windows app. On the other hand you will be able to surf all your favorite websites (although it can be challanging on those small displays).