Why would my SIM card not access a network on a tablet?

Drsunil V September 14, 2013

Why would a SIM card not access a network on tablet?

When I put the same SIM card a in a mobile handset, it works. So why doesn’t it work inside my tablet? The tablet is HCL ME AM7 A1.

Network connection depends upon the tower in your area and also upon the chipset optimized to work upon the tower build by.
    Earlier, for example, iPhone 4, HTC phones, were plauged by grip of death i.e. holding the phone in certain position. It was avoided by using a workaround by placing the phone in a case (wooden,plastic etc.) which then didn't affect the signals irrespective of how we hold it.

SIM cards of phones and tablets are same i.e. they can only vary in Micro SIM,nano SIM,normal SIM.But no other differences.

No network application can boost your reception if there's problem in your hardware itself.

Since,you'd said that the SIM works fine with a phone but not with a tablet,then the problem lies within the tablet.

Firstly,try to reset your tablet and then check whether it works or not.If it still doesn't works after resetting,then there might be hardware problem,i.e.the SIM card slot of your tablet might needs to be fixed.

• Drsunil V

Points noted. In addition to reset what user oriented workarounds can you suggest?

• Susendeep D

Usually,if your SIM card slot is not working,it might be the case that the pins might had got damaged or had collected significant amount of dust.Try blowing air in low pressure from a source to remove dusts.

I won't recommend you to open up your device and replace the SIM card slot as it's a complex process which you must not do unless you're good at it.

• Drsunil V

I Understand. Do you mean that a new sim card slot can be obtained and it can be replaced in the tablet by a repair personnel or by the manufacturer?

• Susendeep D

Yes,if you search for repairing SIM slot of phones in internet,they suggests using screw driver of some kind to be used to open the SIM slot.

Definitely the manufacturer might be having it else they won't be able to perform repair works.

• Drsunil V

Yes. I understand. And how about the antenna of a tablet being less sensitive than that of a mobile phone? Can you please tell how to enhance the antenna for tablet either as a workaround or as a hardware connection? And please tell do sim cards very for tablets and for mobile.

I have tried network detecting applications but the applications did not make any difference

• Drsunil V

Correction : ,..vary..

From the specs at http://compareindia.in.com/specification/tabletslate-pcs/hcl-me-am7a1/206162, it would appear this model has no 2G or 3G connectivity!

• Drsunil V

Thanks. But please note net connection has been estabilished a number of times through sim inserted , but at other times it does not access.

4. Drsunil V

Dear Experts ,

To add to question pl note it is for GSM sim

5. James B

There are different kinds of 3G networks - CDMA, GSM etc - I dont know why you would have both in the same country, but typically when you buy a handset it must be tied to the correct type of network (as in, there are two different models of iPhone in America for different networks). Could be your problem, but it's a pretty vague question.