Why won’t YouTube and other video sites play media properly?

Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda December 17, 2012

Hello. I am experiencing a problem with YouTube in which the videos play and then enter this phase in which the screen turns green skips basically the rest of the video, playing these instantaneous choppy sounds while doing so. I have tried multiple things:

1. Disabling Firewall.
2. Disabling Antivirus.
3. Enabling SPEEDbit Video Accelerator.
4. Disabling SPEEDbit Video Accelerator.
5. Updating graphics card.
6. Updating the Flash plugin.
7. Using the HTML5 version of YouTube.
8. Disabling the built-in flash plugin and only enabling Macromedia.
9. Clearing up my computer.
10. Boosting my computer with IObit Game Booster.
11. Using my computer closer to my router.
12. Checking for any background tasks slowing my computer down.
13. Hardwiring my Internet connection directly to my computer via Ethernet.
14. Using other websites (it’s not just YouTube).
15. Switching to Mozilla Firefox.
16. Using Google Chrome.

If someone could help solve this issue, that would be great!

1. Douglas Mutay

Disabling hardware acceleration will not fix the issue. Updating or reinstalling drivers for flash player and video card will not fix it either. According to Adobe staff, their video engineers are aware of this situation and think it's related to the Multi-Bitrate Streaming feature that they’ve released a few versions back. YouTube (as a lot of premium/paid video providers) uses this option.
    The MBR is just a technique for adapting to changing network conditions. If the network connection degrades between the client and the streaming server during a video stream, the server tries to adapt by seamlessly transitioning you to a lower-quality stream that can be supported smoothly by the available network condition. If the connection improves, it moves you back up to the higher-quality stream. They degrade the picture quality in favor of not making you stop and re-buffer repeatedly when the connection is not able to keep up with the bandwidth demand of the video you're streaming.
    Apparently, the green image happens when the transition doesn't go well. Adobe says they are working on it and hopefully they will come up with some updates that will fix this issue.

• Cristián Torres

Is there anything I can do in the meantime before they fix the issue? I don't know how long it will take for them to fix the issue, but if it takes a long time I need some form of coping method. Thank you!

2. Devendra Meena

upgrade your processer :) The best way :)

• Cristián Torres

How?

3. Âdil Farôôq

check that either you have enabled the flash plugins in your browser or not?

• Devendra Meena

it doesnt affect :p if the flash plugin miss or turned of then the browser do nothing in case of playing youtube videos.

• Âdil Farôôq

NO now the HTML5 version is available which plays the videos without flashplayer.

reinstal flash, shockwave player and SPEEDbit Video Accelerator.

• Cristián Torres

How do I do that? I use Google Chrome on a computer running Windows 7 Home Premium.

5. Ahamed Yaseen

1) Right click on youtube video.
    2) Click Settings
    2) I get these tabs: Display, Privacy, Local Storage, Microphone and Camera.
    3) Under Display, I UNCHECKED the 'Enable hardware acceleration' tickbox.
    4) Refeshed and works fine now.

this can be a solution, good point:)

• Cristián Torres

I tried that and for some reason it didn't work. What are your other solutions?

6. Jose Paolo Gonzales Otico

Right click the flash video and disable "Hardware Acceleration".

• Cristián Torres

Moogaloop Player v5.2.49 is what the video uses, not flash. Although it does happen on YouTube as well.

• Cristián Torres

Never mind, I found out that you can also disable hardware acceleration using Moogaloop.

• Cristián Torres

This method doesn't work. The same thing still happens.