Why won’t wired LAN work on my Dell Inspiron 15R N5010?

Roshankumar B August 9, 2013

I have DELL inspiron 15r N5010 laptop, with all drivers properly installed. I am trying to access internet via the LAN port, but i am not getting LAN options in “Network and sharing center of control panel” ? What can I do?

There are plenty of possibilities, but the first thing to check is the status of the LAN card driver. Run "Computer Management" and click on Device Mangaer. Expand the "Network Adapters" branch and locate the ethernet card. Double click on it and check its status.The device may be disabled (in which case, re-enable it), not working properly (try to roll back the driver, or, if that's not an option, to update it from Dell).
    If it states that "this device is working properly" ,then there may be a problem with the ethernet cable, the router or very possibly with the speed negotiation. Most devices are set to negotiate speed automatically, but from time to time you come across a particular pair that doesn't seem to do this properly, in which case you can try the different options (try 100 duplex and 100 half duplex before other options).

2. dragonmouth

Your drivers may or may not be properly installed. Make sure you have Auto Update enabled. Then Restart your laptop.

My brother in law experience the same problem on his Dell and switch to WIFI perhpas LAN port problem on your Dell.

perhaps network interface card (NIC) became disabled, go to device manager and see if there are yellow signs?

Open networking troubleshooters
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-networking-troubleshooters

you can try to reset CMOS battery and flash BIOS?