Why won’t wget see its Makefile for configuration?

Seth S August 4, 2013

Step 2 of installing wget-1.14 is typing ‘make’. make is telling me there’s no Makefile in the directory, when I can see it sitting right there. Then just for laughs, I type ./Makefile.in or ./Makefile.am.

I get line 63 command not found, line 66 syntax error. etc.

Anybody dealt with similar issues with wget? Thanks!

1. Seth S

Not sure what pulling the binary entails or how I would interpret it, but I will look into this as well, Bruce.

• Seth S

Bruce, to answer your question, I did insatll MSYS to get the utilities. For the grep and sed, awk, etc. I'm looking into this other download in the meantime. Thanks!

Well, what is the command on line 63 of the makefile?

If you are using Windows, why not just pull the binary instead of compiling your own?

Do you have Cygwin (or a similar tool) installed?

Did you run the configure script first? The configure script requires bash, therefore you need to have Cygwin or something else available in order to run this script.

• Seth

Not on my work machine until Monday, so can't tell you the command on line 63 until then; if my memory serves me, it said there was a syntax error in the file. But this is after I got the response from step two of typing make. I hit configure before make.

• Seth

I run minGW on a windows 8 machine.

• Seth

Linux virtual environment.

Did you install MSYS with minGW? It contains handy little tools like grep, sed, and awk and if they are not there, there is a very good chance that a configure or make will fail (showing up primarily as command not found errors and possibly syntax errors).

If you want to avoid the hassles of building your own port of the GNU wget, you can download a Win32 binary from Sourceforge.