Why won’t Ubuntu 12.10 boot alongside Windows 8?

Sadman H July 6, 2013

I installed ubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64.iso(in a different partition) using USB with Windows 8.When i start my laptop,it loads Windows 8 directly. And the partition i gave to ubuntu,also not showing.

But when i run ubuntu from usb that partion shows up.

Windows is totally clueless about partitions that use foreign formats such as ext3/ext4 and not seeing them when you are running Windows is normal (and probably a good thing since there is less chance Windows will screw it up).

If you are not getting a prompt for the OS to load, I would have to assume that you did not install the grub bootloader when you installed Ubuntu or you installed it to either your / or /boot partition instead of the MBR.

Depending on if you want to see the GRUB menu or the Win8 boot menu first will detemine how you correct this.

If you installed GRUB to / or /boot and you want to use the Windows bootloader, you can follow the instructions here regarding the use of EasyBCD to create a boot entry to effectively chainload GRUB and boot Ubuntu.

In any other case, you should probably boot your USB key, select Try Ubuntu, install boot-repair and run that. Here is where you need to make a choice again: which bootloader do you want to use? If you want to use the Windows bootloader, make sure you are using the option to reinstall GRUB in /boot or /boot/efi for best results, otherwise install it to the MBR. You should probably use the option to purge any currently installed GRUB before the reinstall . Deselect the option to 'Repair Windows boot files' since they are working properly (don't take unnecessary chances). There is documentation here regarding the installation and first use of boot-repair. After the reboot, you will still need to edit the Windows bootloader configuration database with EasyBCD (or the command line if you are adventurous) to set up an entry for Ubuntu if you did not reinstall GRUB to the MBR.

• Sadman H

Thanks man. I find it helpful :)

• Bruce E

If it was a problem with UEFI or Secure Boot, it would not have allowed him to boot from the USB device or install Ubuntu on the system in the first place (no signed kernel & drivers). I checked this out using LinuxMint 15 last week with my sister's laptop. If you need to disable Secure Boot in order to do the Ubuntu install, in almost all cases Wn 8 will no longer boot at all (requires reinstall).

• Sadman H

Thanks for the reply! :)