Why won’t Totem Movie Player play a CD audio file?

Zhong Jiang February 2, 2013

I insert the CD into the drive, the disc runs and I can open the (unidentified permission) file, when I try to play it with Totem, it says: “An error occurred. The playback of this movie requires a Audio CD source plugin which is not installed.”

This error doesn’t offer any solution in regards the CD source, since it isn’t evident of where to obtain it. When I move the file to the desktop, the media is playable. What’s wrong with the file or with the totem player?

1. Kylee Kanavas

Maybe copyright?

• Zhong Jiang

Good guess but messages like that don't indicate anything involving the digital content.

3. salim benhouhou

do you have the latest codecs installed ?

• Zhong Jiang

Uh. Debian doesn't comes with the 'latest' codecs, all are security fixes and if I want to upgrade or update, then I would need to either compile or download the source package to build on it.

Why not try VLC media player ?

• Zhong Jiang

Because I'm using Totem? Yeah.

I did suggested you to use VLC because I just wanted you to save from the headaches of recompiling or installing additional codecs,plugins,testing the Totem player for any issues etc..

If you look at the forum link below,it has same issue that you are facing and has solved the problem -

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5561423.html

• Zhong

I appreciate your suggestion but the link you've provided is not applicable in my situation. The message wasn't "solved" per say, the end of the comment suggests other application like you've done and that doesn't resolve the problem, just ignoring it.

I actually wanted to know how do I install additionally codecs because I want to use Totem for all my media purposes.

5. Aditya Bhat

hi,
    download the plugins from this website
    http://projects.gnome.org/totem/index.html
    happy listning

• Zhong Jiang

Ok, what kind of plugin? I'm not using Windows ya know. I've already been there and found no solution as to how to install the source plugin.