Why won’t these downloaded YouTube videos play in VLC?

Manish Parmar April 26, 2013

A few days back I downloaded some videos from YouTube using Internet Download Manager (IDM). While playing it online the video had sound but after downloading it fully, the video had no sound. Another thing I noticed is that I am unable to play those videos in VLC whereas Windows Media Player runs them with no sound.

Are there any specific reasons for this? How do I get the sound back for those videos? Why are these videos not playing in VLC? I am using VLC version 2.0.0.

1. Manish

there is a simpler solution. Download the video from internet explorer and the video will just work fine :)

2. Jai

Hey its happning with everyone actully all the hd videos and 144p videos that are in .mp4 format on youtube are giving this problem
    So I Searched the and found that this is because youtube has seprated their videos from audios. now if u wish to donload then just download both the mp4 file, of which one is of audio (smaller in size) and one of video ( larger in size). down load both files and merge them with any software of ur like
    m using pinnacle video studio
    and now m even able to play it with VLC .

3. Shaik Sumiya

I have experienced the same problem and at last i found the solution to play those downloaded videos instead of converting them into other formats which may take much more time or hd experience can be missed.. so use this video player http://www.finalmediaplayer.com/ which can play a video of format.

4. Kwamayze

Update IDM to 6.17 and it will work. Or use savefrome net, savemedia and other websites and copy the youtube link there. Was having the same issue.

5. Ashwani Kumar

Yea the problem is miserable but I ve got the solution, it may seem uncanny but it works.you are required to download k-Lite mega pack, while you install it, choose advance function and click all format. It will run in CLASSIC MEDIA PLAYER. Let me inform you that when you download such video from youtube, you will get mp4 as well as m4a format; and you will have to download both; one for video and second for audio. Now run video in CMP and run audio in media player. you can enjoy video... thanks

6. DeeDee

I found out today about this problem. so far never faced anything like this. now I do. some videos just goes blank in vlc. changing file extention wont help but ok that's understandable. I see some people have resolved the downloading problem by using http://www.clipconverter.cc/
    I normaly convert my files into mp3 after downloading the videos from youtube but now thats not possible because file cant be downloaded in the first place. the clipconverter is actually fantastic. lets me convert files online, so no need for double files on the computer. thank you very much for this share. until youtube comes with something new again.

7. kelly

use a pot player it will solve your headache http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PotPlayer

• pradeep

ya, pot player works fine for video but it doesn't play audio.

8. ashok

if video is playing any way in the player there is no sound in the file

9. ashok

youtube videos is not working after download via download i think it is write protected how can i play it

10. Abhay

Thanks a ton Sivaprasad it works Perfect :)

11. JoePlay

I am having the same problem. I've updated all the codecs on the system in my hope to resolve it but to no avail. I first had this problem when I started using VPN to access YouTube. It only happens when you try to download YouTube videos with Internet Download Manager(IDM). The download panel would only list MP4 and MPA download options. You can download the MP4 and it would play on Windows Media Player Classic and WMP11 however you won't hear any audio for there really is no audio stream embedded in the file. You can download the accompanying MPA and listen to the audio separately but the point is its really inconvenient.
    I tried downloading the videos with YouTube Downloader (there's a lot of program to choose from anyway) and the videos played perfectly with all the media players I have installed in my computer and with sounds. The problem is it doesn't have the multi-file-splitting-synchronous download capability (whatever that's called) that IDM has (it took me 30 mins to download a file that can usually be downloaded with IDM in less than 5 minutes).
    The best solution I come with is a program called Download Accelerator Plus. It can download pretty much all files you can think of, has a decent User Interface, and it also have a file-splitting-synchronous-download feature with up to 4 segmentations. Still I feel IDM is faster because it can split a file up to 16 parts and uses the all the bandwidth it can get to hasten the download.
    IDM can still download videos from other video sharing site and MP3s as well with no problem so I think this problem is only confined to YouTube. I'll try to take a closer look into this since I still have a box with IDM installed and whats really confusing is its not having this problem.

12. benjozi

Hello everybody, thank you please mark I already downloaded the video in mp4 format so is it what should I do convert them online or download the converter on my computer I don't have internet at home, I have to go to internet cafe

13. zalik

for me,i downloaded the videos from youtube with flashgot....worked on firefox.idk for other browsers though.

• Abhi143

I am also observing same problem with VLC player..mp4 videos are playing on K lite video player but no sound observed. please help to solve this issue.VLC player is not playing that at all.Also all other players are failed to play mp4(1080p) videos which are downloaded from You tube.

14. Anne

Thanks very much Mark. I have the same problem since this week and your link is working fine :-)

15. bob

I have encountered the same problem. I installed the free version of Real Player and used the add-on in Internet explorer to download 720P or 1080P video from youtube.

The file refused to play in VLC player 2.06. No Codec info is available. It does play in Windows Media Player in Windows 8 but there is no sound.

On further investigation. When using MediaInfo to examine the MP4 files, there is no Audio track information !

If I use VLC player to play the youtube video, it reports the video is 1080p, and is using different video codec to what is reported by MediaInfo. Specifically, VLC player is reporting Google/ON2's VP8 Video, and Vorbis Audio in use.

Conclusion is the downloaded file is not the same file viewed directly on Youtube website, and the sound has perhaps been deliberately removed for copyright reasons.

• Carlos

BOB, you are right I just did the very same thing and got to the same conclusión, I suggest ussing http://www.clipconverter.cc/ to download playable videos from YouTube.

16. Okdlori

I have been experiencing the same problem, and I can see that others have been having the problem recently as well. The issue has something to do with YouTube's rollout of the 144p video option. For some reason, it breaks the downloads of all videos of other qualities if 144p is enabled. I have noticed for some weeks that if the lowest option is 240p, then the video downloads and plays fine, but if 144p is an option, then the video is screwed up. Apparently the video downloads as a file without an audio track, and I haven't seen able to figure out how to work around this issue. I have been searching various fora for the past two weeks and haven't found any solutions yet. Today I noticed that virtually every new video I search for as an 144p option, so this effectively ends my ability to download working videos from YouTube. I wasn't able to fix it by updating codecs either.

• Mark Thompson

Hi Guys,

It has got nothing to do with codecs or anything like that.

Youtube have started encoding the more recent MP4 videos with copyrighted links, so you can download them but cannot watch them on any player.

I used several video converter software's to convert them, still no joy.
      Tried online converters & they either said link not found or copyrighted material link not allowed to convert.

But I've found one that works, for now at least, it's at
      It doesn't take long to convert & download them to your computer

Md Mukhtar Mohsin I converted both the videos in your post with no problem.

So see how long that last for before they get slapped with lawsuits.

17. Md Mukhtar Mohsin

See the video properties if it is .mp4 or .m4a rather than .flv , it may not play in any player because now on request of copyright of owner it is uploaded in such a manner on youtube that even if you download it can't be played for example i faced this situation in both this video-

18. Saumyakant Sahoo

the video might have corrupted or incomplete download .. redownload then and try

19. Eian Ampoloquio

Most likely there's a problem in codec. try updating your VLC player. OPEN your VLC player - go to HELP tab - and click "Check for updates". Usually there's always an ERROR message that will pop-up if the VLC can't play a video or it encounters an unknown codec. Sometimes VLC offers to fix it.

20. JC

When something like this happens, it is always good to go first to basics:

Do not use a download manager - use whatever is in IE or the browser you use. That will eliminate your download software corrupting files.

Then try to get sound working in WM Player - this will allow you to see whether it is sound or software.

Then when you get sound working you can use VLC, as it should work. VLC plays all of the formats of video from YouTube without any other codec installation.

Apart from logical troubleshooting I cannot offer much of a solution.

Wish you success.

To answer your question, codecs are the software that "reads" a particular format of video files. The video player adds the ability to display and control them, but without a suitable codec, it can't process them properly. There are hundreds or thousands of formats and variations on formats, which is why we need to add codecs, and unless you want to install lots of codecs separately, it's easier to get a "pack" containing lots of them, hence packages like K-Lite.
    Note that installable codecs will only have an effect on Windows Media Player, not on VLC, since VLC uses ONLY its own built-in codecs.

check the codec info, normally VLC should play them, use the latest version of VLC, there are portable versions of VLC if you wish to test before install.

• Manish Parmar

how to check the codec info ?/

do check that downloads are not corrupted, use some kind online tool or another software

Media Info Portable

VLC also has codec info tool
      Tools and then Media Information

• Najeeb PJ

Thanks... siprasad

• Haroon R

sivaprasad thanks for the info, I downladed megui from ur given address but I don't know the use and how to download avisynth and dot net framework, I didn't download avisynth and dot net. megui showing error, is this error due to avisynth and dot net

I think it is due to missing codec. I would request you to either upgrade to the latest VLC version and checkout. If the issue is resolved, fine, otherwise you may have to install a codec pack. Try the following:

K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 9.85 -> http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_mega_codec/

Windows 7 Codecs 4.1.1 -> http://www.filehippo.com/download_windows_7_codecs/tech/

They are both compatible to Windows 8 and Windows 8 64bit as checked in techical specifications.

But first do update to latest version of VLC 2.0.6 and see if the issue gets resolved. :)

• Mohammad Hamzani Salleh

just an addon info from raja info, when u want to install it, when u at the choose profile to install, please scroll down and choose lot of stuff. then u will no need to manually configure anything since it was jam packed all thing into the installation. i use k lite mega codec pack for the past 10 years and no problem with me. it work so well. owh, by the way, when u at the format windows, please do choose all audio format also including all video format... then u will have no worries. u will know what to if u read a bit all of it windows before click next and okay.

• Manish Parmar

i updated VLC and downloaded the codec from the link u posted above.i installed it.but the problem still persists.other videos are palying well and good,except those 2-3 videos.

• Manish Parmar

i tried both the things ie updating VLC and installing codec.but i dont know what is the function of codec or how to use it?secondly, those videos run swiftly in windows media player with no sound bt in VLC they dont even run.

• Sivaprasad

i was having the same problem. i searched for hours for answer on the internet but none of em worked out...so I experimented in my own way after doing some researches :P

To play it on VLC or any other application with sound. you have to follow some steps.

1) when u download video from youtube using IDM or any software, if u are aiming for 1080p mp4 file.. select the 1080 settings on youtube. and download the 2 mp4 files dat will pop up in IDM. the thing is one of em carrys sound and the other have d video. make sure u download both of em.
      2) download and install AVISYNTH and DOT NET FRAMEWORK 2

3) Download MEGUI, which is a multipurpose video converting tool. and install it from this address,

make sure to get it from this address cos the update have somekinda error. this link has all the necessery files needed to run dat software..

4) open Megui.exe and go to "tools>muxer>mp4muxer

5) In the new window, select the video and audio tracks you downloaded from youtube. press queue

it wont take much time. probabily abt 10min tops. it doesnt convert the media, it just mux the audio and video into a mp4 container.

Now you can play it on any players...including VLC...

THIS WORKS 100%

• Avishek

k-light codec pack is also unable to play sound.... Reply something more useful