Why won’t the touchpad on my Acer Aspire work?

Kimberly Hilliker November 7, 2012

My touch pad doesn’t work. I’ve been trying to research how to fix it on my own but none of the suggestions given seem to help me. I’ve gone to the synaptics pointing device option, it says everything’s fine, everything is update and everything if functioning normally, and yet, I can not use my mouse pad.

I’ve tried the fn + f7 buttons but they have not worked. I’ve gone to device manager and accessed it from there but to no avail.
This has happened before and I sent it into a repair shop along with some other things that were broken. I don’t want to spend the money or time on waiting waiting for it to be repaired if I can fix it myself.

I have an Acer Aspire with a Windows Vista operating system.

1. josemon maliakal

check if you have any physical switch based touchpad locking system..

2. Boni Oloff

You already try to install the driver?

3. Alex Perkins

Not sure how to fix it but you could use an external USB mouse, some come with a keyboard too.

4. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Since when it happened?
    Maybe the driver for the touchpad is somehow erased. Try to go to your laptop maker's website, they usually have downloadable drivers.

control panel-mouse properties-Devices Option endure that Touchpad is selected.then go to Device Settings make sure Touchpad is enabled then click on settings and check if Tapping is enabled also check the same for Bottons and Scrolling and Sensitivity

6. Aniket Singh

What's with all the Acer laptops lately? Don't people know not to buy Acer or Gateway? Sheesh...

Anyway - I doubt it's a driver issue. So that leaves bad news and worse news. Bad news is, you put it back incorrectly and even the new cable is either on backwards or broken as well. Worse news, the touchpad is dead and therefore you need to replace that.

7. Benjamin Tiessen

Temporary alternatives:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35460
    http://synergy-foss.org/

Can we get more details on when that last time your touchpad worked?

If its failed again, I suggest that you buy a USB wired mouse for less than $10. Are you sure that you have the correct driver from Acer for your particular Aspire model? There are no user repairable parts on the touchpad and associated circuit board. Replacement would be difficult.

• Douglas Mutay

good point Jim, I think there is no other option for him if he don't want to spend a lot in a repair shop :-)

• Naveen Kumar

i would defiantly go with your idea instead of spending for to repair it