Why won’t sound work for me in Ubuntu 13.04?

Dylan Lawrence May 1, 2013

I just downloaded Ubuntu 13.04 and I am not able to hear anything. I’ve tried to troubleshoot the problems but half the time I don’t have a clue what it’s trying to tell me.

How can I sort out this lack of sound?

1. Gaurav Joshi

you must install codecs
    type in terminal ->sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    or simply install ubuntu-restricted-extras from ubuntu software center

1) Open a Terminal and type in alsamixer
    2) Navigate through the menu with arrow keys
    3) Press F6 to Select your sound card. In the new popup Window select the sound card and press enter.

you might have to download some codecs to play audio and video. ubuntu does not come up with audio and video codecs. when you try to play audio or video, the software will prompt you to download the required codec. try vlc player as well.

You probably have multiple audio output devices on your computer. Open System Settings - Sound and change the output device to your desired device. If you have a video card with HDMI output, it is probably the default device and if you don't have speakers on that output, you won't hear anything. Changing it to your internal audio device should fix the problem.