Why won’t my Windows 7 laptop play Blu-Ray discs?

Sheila Flanagan May 7, 2013

I upgraded my Acer 8930g laptop last year and decided to make it a Bluray drive when the old cd drive went out. Now I don’t get a lot of Netflix BR discs, but when one does come..I can’t even see them load in the Windows computer, it will tell me to insert a disc.

1. Sheila Flanagan

ha14 has helped me with all of the issues..and NO my BR drive is not bad..it was just some issues with BR discs from Netflix and now I play everything MOST of the time in my laptop..

2. chandler

maybe there is something wrong with your drive or you can choose to change another bluray player

• Monique G

I think bluray media player from iReal is great. i like it.

3. null

ha14..responded to you last nite on my phone, but apparently only the last sentence took. Sorry I have been out of touch..had family in Moore, OK and had to travel there..just got in late last nite and haven't had time to try out newest suggestions you gave, but let me be sure I understand: DVDFab media player has never worked for me as soon as I click it (even after getting properties set to run as admin) it instantly errors out. So am wondering if your passkey lite suggestion was that I get DVDfab to play, but can't get menu access..that is not the case. Leawo has been the best and when I contacted them to ask why no menu access and that I could only play 1st episode, they told me I didn't have latest version and to be sure and try both quick play and full mode, which I did, upgrade version, try both and found access to all menus for leawo, but nothing ever gave me a disc mode. Also, just a note: any player which loads the 4 episode disc will show the time length as 1.00, which we know would be only 1 episode. As of tonite, I can't seem to get image burn to mount the disc (a different one btw from before, but still another tv episode disc) so as soon as I get it to mount, I will again try leawo, vlc and chk bk with you. Any thoughts on why DVDfab refuses to even open on win 7 professional?

i installed DVDfab on windows 8 and it works for playing bluray, i tested on The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008)

in your case when you install Dvdfab you will be asked you to install Bonjour service and Microsoft direct X you should check the box, have you done it? also after installation the program should ask you to reboot, even without asking do reboot.

i also purchased Leawo since it is 65%discount, and it played well The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008).

perhaps to repair/reinstall windows by using the factory settings (this will delete all files)!

you can try Daemon tools, Isobuster in the place of imgburn!
      http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/downloads
      http://www.isobuster.com/

bitsdujour is offering Aiseesoft Blu-ray Player 100%discount so free
      http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/aiseesoft-blu-ray-player
      so hurry up to get the deal if interested

4. Meilin Dai

To play Blu-ray on laptop, you should check out if the hardware is powerful enough to support blu-ray, and you can find two best method through this article http://tablet-of-android.blogspot.com/2013/04/two-best-methods-to-play-blu-ray-on-pc.html

have you tried any of the mentioned methods in that article?

• Meilin D

I have tried both of the two method and they worked.

5. null

ha14..so here's the only issue now: VLC and Leawo play (fixed audio issue in Leawo..just had to switch to analog for it to see realtek speaker..weird since this is a bluray and I have HD audio installed) but both programs only play the 1st of 4 episodes on the disc and there is no disc menu support. If I uncheck the no menu in VLC, it crashed or wouldn't play. Checking it lets the 1st episode play choosing disc menu in VLC only takes me back to the playlist in VLC. Sliding the bar to the end of episode 1, there is nothing else to play. Any thoughts?

perhaps it is limitation of anydvd hd trial you can try with
      Passkey Lite
      http://www.dvdfab.com/passkey-lite.htm

others requires mouse support like arcsoft mouse solution found in Arcsoft total media theatre

on DVDFab player exe right click go to compatibility and under privilege check the box Run this program as administrator. to install it correctly if you have problems.

any improvement since your last report?

if you are still interested in Leawo bluray player then get it with 65% discount
      http://www.leawo.com/promotion/new-products/blu-ray-player.html

6. null

ha14..at last....since you suggested trying vlc while anydvd was open, I tried that and VOILA..both sound and video play perfectly..I don't see why I have to have imgburn open for anydvd to see the disc or EVEN if that is what caused it to do its job and remove aacs protection, but whatever..I'll take it. IT WORKS.. Thx so much for all your help, without you, I would have given up.

thats great congratulations, enjoy Bluray:) imgburn is like mounting

it helps anydvdhd to detect the bluray, you can run imgburn directly if have anydvdhd installed, if anything wrong try with clonedvd
      http://www.slysoft.com/fr/clonedvd.html

7. null

I will check out links in your last post, but VLC doesn't see a disk in Drive F even with anydvd open. WHOA..while I was typing this I saw a message about anydvd scanning the disc even though I had just checked the window and it said no disc in drive..and then imgburn opened giving the disc in the drive (a netflix one) info and suddenly anydvd sees the disc too and send me to their web page to purchase (even though I'm still in 21 day trial) and it said it removed AACs copy protection. However, how do I play it in this program? or is it a player? Cause the only options are Default, Order, OK or Cancel and hitting OK doesn't open up a player. We could be close here..help? :)

8. null

Okay slysoft link does not detect a disc in the drive..I uninstalled the bd-rom in dev mgr and rebooted..it still showed up as a bd-rom drive with windows not recognizing there was a disc in the drive..DVDFab, even run as admin, still errors out immediately with windows saying the program has encountered a problem and will close it. I have done so many fixes it is hard to remember over the past 2 wks, but I think I found a forum or maybe you sent me a link to an LG driver and that may have been why windows suddenly saw the drive as a br vs. a dvd-rom. If I can figure that out, maybe I'll try undoing that and going back to b4 so that at least the software can play the br..as long as the audio issue is fixed. Thx.

9. null

Well downloading/installing MakeMKV also resulted in NO DISC recognition..I think I'm about to give up..I have the same br disc in the drive b4 windows recognized my dvd-rom drive as a bd-rom and nothing recognizes it. I will say I did do a windows fix when win 7 doesn't see a cd/dvd drive and that's when I could see the bd-rom drive assignation in win 7. Since then tho', no software sees a disc in the drive..

well it can be LG problem not helping the situation, if Bluray is somehow encrypted then this can be source of problem
      Anydvd hd
      http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html
      -Removes restrictions from Blu-ray media.
      -Makes Blu-ray media playable with every player software

you can see if the trial will let you play Bluray, if yes then this can explain why you are not able to play this netflix bluray

10. null

ha14, as I stated, I did upgrade the realtek audio driver as recommended by driver easy..no wait..I didn't install it as the free drivereasy method downloads the file and there is NO setup or executable file so I did not know how to proceed. I tried DVDfab and after downloading/installing/rebooting, opening it got a windows error message that the program had encountered an error and would be closed. So no go there. THe other options are basically what I've been trying to avoid: rip it to hdd and watch with vlc or anything else. Aaahh.. I wish my laptop had an hdmi in vs and hdmi out and I would simply plug in my new sony blu ray player on my home tv..but that is another issue altogether is it not?

the realtek audio driver should not stop playing Bluray!
      thats weird
      Right click on the DVDFab icon on the desktop and select 'Run as administrator' if that works then on the DVDFab 'Properties' settings click on the compatibility' tab at the very bottom under 'Privilege Level' place a check mark next to 'Run this program as administrator'.

yap it is another issue not big one!

you can also go to device manager right click on lg choose uninstall ( do not delete) reboot, windows will install the driver perhaps it can refresh things????

11. null

ha14..well here's where I'm at now: windows 7 now (for some unknown reason) recognizes my drive as BD-ROM drive F:. However, now I put a Netflix BR disc and open up Leawo, it says no disc and trying to open file location it doesn't recognize that I have a drive F, only my hard drives. And whatever that fix was for VLC, I'm not sure if it worked. I clicked the BR box vs. the cd/dvd box and VLC told me it couldn't open it. So then I tried a non-Netflix BR, my one that played last time in Leawo and it still said no disc and didn't recognize that I have a cd drive. Since I updated a couple of drivers from the drivereasy recommendations, I don't know if that is what made Win 7 see my BR drive, but it would seem that now windows sees it, the BR software doesn't. Any thoughts?

have you done anyting on your pc after the last time that you played Bluray with Leawo?

i think some bluray can only be played on external bluray player or through hdmi cable from pc to external TV screen
      some bluray disks do not support Mouse gesture like for instance on arcsoft total media theatre you will get a mouse solution a little GUI to navigate with arrows.

Playing Bluray is becoming tricky for many reasons and depending on windows version it is hard to express universal free solution perhaps buying a full featured player is a must.

DVDFab player try here see if you can get it
      http://madgive.com/grab-dvdfab-media-player-1-year-license-for-free/

you can try with XBMC and MAKEMKV as described here
      http://lifehacker.com/5806252/how-can-i-play-blu+ray-discs-on-my-computer

12. null

ha14..OKAY..I accidentally opened up Imgburn last night and amazingly this program recognized the br disc in the drive. So I downloaded the link you gave me to leawo and it too saw the disc and showed the title. I pushed play and it played with beautiful pic, however, this is the 1st time I have ever seen this: since I couldn't hear anything, I clicked on my volume control icon on the task bar and instead of the usual speaker icon, there were 2 strips: one for the Realtek High Def Audio and the 2nd one (I'd never seen before) Realtek Digital Output volume control. I'm guessing this only comes into play with BR movies. However, I could never hear voices or music--no sound. Now there were subtitles so I wondered if there was some setting I needed to change, but since I chose to open leawo in quick play vs. full navigation, I couldn't find anything to do with subtitles on or off, etc. So now we know that with the right s/w the drive definitely plays BR, and it must just be a win 7 issue that it cannot see the br disc in the drive, only standard discs. So if I can fix the audio issue, we are set. I just updated the driver for my nvidia 2 days ago and when it updates, the Realtek updates simultaneously, but since that driver program said it needed updating, I will try that and see if it fixes the audio issue. If not, my only next step would be to get tech support from leawo, which is available in beta testing. If you think of anything I'm overlooking, feel free to point it out and thanks so much for all your help.

great at least you can play Bluray so with the right software you will be fine. Yes Leawo is beta, if you contact them and find out that it is a bug in their player that should be corrected perhaps they will offer you a full license after that the beta is finished.

concerning the two volume, this can be two playback devices you can check them by right clicking on the volume icon then click on playback device there you can see if you have additional volume sources or actually it is for Leawo?

you can also go to device manager locate your sound and uninstall it(do not delete anything) then reboot so Windows should install the driver again, perhaps this can fix the problem if something wrong went after you updated nvidia and realtek.

13. null

ha14..scanned with drivereasy (I had already done this with another driver updater on LG's site) and though it showed a LOT of devices needing updated drivers, the BDROM showed it had the current driver. Sheesh..this is like crazy..since no software came with my drive (wish I'd known about this issue back then) windows just used a generic microsoft driver. Still, drivereasy seems to think that's the one. Any other ideas? I really appreciate your help.

have you installed at least trial version of arcsoft totalmedia theatre or cyberlink and similar or perhaps the leawo bluray player, to see at least you will be able to play a bluray.

concerning the driver it is your own decision i cant interfere it is up to you, in all case you can make a restore point to revert back if things go wrong.

14. null

ha14 I had an old DVD player lens cleaner (Maxell) but it didn't seem to work in this drive. I had to manually open th video folder and select the 1st vob or ifo file and it took me to the menu where I could select language and choose to run the cleaning, but once it started playing it stayed on the image with 10 in the upper l.h. corner (I remember when I used these on regular dvd players the scene would count down from 10 to 1) so I'm not sure it did any good. Anyhow, the only issue now would seem to understand why the drive is recognizing any regular cd/dvd inserted, but nothing on a BR insert. Obviously, it doesn't matter how many BR players I have if clicking on the drive says, "Insert a disc" Any other ideas?

well hope that LG is not corrupted, why windows see your LG as cd/dvd drive rather than also Bluray it can be driver problems, windows not loading the right drivers, controllers.

scan your windows with drivereasy
      http://www.drivereasy.com/
      check if it will propose chipsets updates and perhaps LG updates, if yes install them.

Oops, sorry the typo.. What I said should have referred to Windows 7 (although it's equally true for Win 8). VLC does play Bluray, but you need to tweak it a little to do so, . You can find the details at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/

• null

OK, I've done the tweaking, but still, having player s/w doesn't help if the disc drive doesn't recognize there's a blu ray disc in it. Ha14 hasn't responded yet, but I wonder why ask the ? if it was "bulk" and what that means.

16. null

Ha14...it is the bulk version...why..what does that mean? And I can play any other media, including netflix dvds, it is only copy protected BRDs that I own or rent. Any other media in my bdrom drive shows up under my computer..just not BRDs. And no, I do not own any s/w to play them, and you are right, Win 7 does not natively support (I found out after I upgraded), but I sure as heck don't wanna pay $99 for Cyberlink PowerDVD 13. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I already know about ripping with free software, but even though I have the HDD space, who wants to spend 30 min prior to each TV episode I watch on a disc ripping to HDD? Thx

Windows 8 does not play DVDs and Blueray "out of the box" since Microsoft needs to pay a royalty to the patent owners for the codec. I suggest using VLC for the purpose, although you can get the codecs from MS for $9.99 if you prefer...

• null

As the question itself reads, I am on Win 7 not 8 and VLC does not support bluray. I use VLC for everything else.

Try VLC or XBMC(for unencrypted only Blu-ray disks).

Check for any DVDs that came with LG Super-Multi Slim Blu-ray drive.It might contain any software to playback those encrypted Blu-ray.

Else,you can try the suggestions -

Ripping your movie using MakeMKV(extensive system resource is utilized),

Using XBMC.

The best route to start with is test an ordinary blu-ray disk. Can you play that?

• null

That was my post above when i said i'd never tried that, went and put one I own in and same results. So bottom line, regular dvds all play fine; no br discs though.

20. Paul Pruitt

I may have forgotten to give the address of the CD-DVD troubleshooter I wrote. My bad: http://cd-dvd-troubleshooter.com/

21. Paul Pruitt

I don't know if the tricks I discuss on my CD-DVD troubleshooter website work for Blue-Ray but it's worth an attempt. There's a bunch of free little utilities that might fix your blue ray disk issues issues even though they were designed for CD-DVD issues like not registering the disk in your drive.

are you able to play other bluray not Netflix BR?

Sick and tired of Netflix sending me damaged blu-rays
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433566/sick-and-tired-of-netflix-sending-me-damaged-blu-rays

• Sheila

I have never tried any br dvds except netflix. I will go grab one and see if one I own will and get back to you asap. Thx

• Sheila

Just tried a br I own and same thing: computer shows no disc in drive and clicking on the br drive gets "please insert a disc". The model I installed in my laptop was LG Super-Multi Slim Blu-ray Combo Drive CT21N. Any help would be appreciated.

Open the Playing and Burning CDs, DVDs, and Blu?ray Discs troubleshooter
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-playing-and-burning-cds-dvds-and-bluray-discs-troubleshooter

are you able to play cd and dvd?
      LG Super-Multi Slim Blu-ray Combo Drive CT21N is it retail or bulk version?

do you have any software to play Bluray, i think windows 7 natively do not support bluray disk

you can try this Cyberlink BD advisor perhaps it can guide you
      http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/bd-support/diagnosis.do

• null

ha14..thx for that link. I downloaded/ran the advisor and results on basic:
      all passed except for upgrading my 30 day trial of PowerDVD 12 and on advanced: all passed except Hardware Dual Decoding Video capability on H.264, MPEG-2 & VC1. So that should mean all appears to be working as it should in playing BRs, right? Also, since I did the tweaks suggested elsewhere in this q&a for VLC, should I be able to just use it?

• Sherry

You can use VLC to play Blu-Ray on Windows 8, but you will need to download and place the AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys in order to play Blu Ray on Windows 8.

UFUSoft gives a step-by-step guide on how to Play Blu-Ray with VLC in Windows 8 64-bit/32-bit that may help you to play Blu-Ray for free here:

http://www.windows-blu-ray-player.com/free-way-to-play-blu-ray-discs-with-vlc-on-windows-8/

• Jason

VLC is not a very good choice for play commercial Blu-ray, you may need a complicated operation but can not sure it can deal with the Blu-ray, especially the new ones.

As for online media, Arcsoft Total Media Center and Cyberlink PowerDVD will be the best choice, but there are still some simple Blu-ray player software for deal with commercial Blu-ray discs. Refers to: http://blog.bluray-player-software.com/free-blu-ray-player-win-8/