Why won’t my Samsung Galaxy S III turn on after installing the Omega ROM?

Cristián T December 4, 2013

I just recently installed Omega ROM on my phone and upon installation finish it asked me to restart, and I said yes, and it shut off. Now I’m not able restart the phone. I’ve held the power button for more than 10 seconds and it still does not turn on. Download mode does not work, recovery mode doesn’t either. I don’t even know what to do, because pluggin my phone to my charging cable doesn’t even let my phone show any lights. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S III (SCH-I535). I installed the ROM very carefully and I have no idea what I could’ve possibly done wrong. Thank you so much for your help.

I personally do not know, but I would try Verizon and/or Samsung to see if you can get a warranty replacement first due to the bad chip that should tell the phone the battery information, but apparently isn't. This has been a known issue (though there may be denials from Samsung, and possibly Verizon).If they won't help, then try JTAG.

• Cristián T

Great! Thanks for the help! I'll order the JTAG tools and then reply if the procedure was a failure.

This seems to be a semi-common issue with Galaxy S3 phones, no matter if you installed a custom Rom or just using any regular app. Here are more suggestions and information about this situation: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/298506-my-samsung-galaxy-s3-wont-turn.html, or you may have hard-bricked your phone and would need JTAG services to try to get your phone back in working order.

• Cristián T

This thread seems to be discussing a problem which is slightly different from the one I am experiencing. In the thread you sent me, the user is having problem turning his phone on, but it vibrates and loops the start up intro. That has happened to me before, and I fixed it in recovery mode with ClockworkMod. I'm having a different problem, slightly. I can't even turn on my phone, no lights, no vibrations, nothing seems to happen when I hold down the power button for at least twenty seconds. Also I'm interested in these JTAG services. But I'd prefer making repairs myself if I know how. And if I don't know how, I can always learn online or something. What would people who work for JTAG services do to get my phone working again?

• Dalsan M

Some of the commenters mentioned that if you take the battery out and place the phone on the charger, the power led would come on and turn red for a few minutes. This is a sign of a hard bricked device, though it is possible that it may not be. Sometimes one of the chips for the battery to be recognized by the phone burns out, which would be a manufacturer's defect. Many people have mentioned this being a problem with Galaxy S3's.

Here is where you can order the JTAG "unbrick" tools from here: http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/. I do not know what is entailed in this, but if you wish to try it, you may ask the people at the linked website since they were the ones that created the JTAG unbrick method.

JTAG services can take the phone

• Dalsan M

Sorry, not sure what happened to the rest of my reply.

JTAG supposedly takes a hard bricked phone that is not recognizable with normal methods of connecting the device to a computer and forces the proper firmware and ROM for the device onto the device. This isn't a 100% working solution (as in will absolutely work in all cases), but it's worth trying since the phone it may get your phone back in working condition instead of leaving your device as a paperweight or doorstop.

Note: I'm not 100% positive if your device is hard bricked or the chip that tells your phone about the battery information (ie. charge, discharge rate, etc.) is fried. Both issues can have similar symptoms and results. You might want to take your phone into Verizon and tell them that the phone suddenly speed turning on and none of the led lights turn on when you have the charger plugged in. They may tell you to contact Samsung so that they can send you a new phone due to manufacturer's defect under the phone's warranty. Otherwise, you can try the JTAG method of unbricking your phone, if it is in fact bricked.

• Cristián T

And how do I know that it is for sure bricked?