Why won’t my new Polaroid tablet connect to my Netgear router?

Debi Selhost December 11, 2012

I bought a new Polaroid tablet and can’t seem to get it connected to my wireless network. I am using a Netgear Wireless-G WGR614v10 router – does anyone know of anything I can try?

What is the usual routine to try for devices that won’t connect to a network?

1. Yosef Maayan

I assume you have enabled security settings, are you using WEP or WPA or what?

2. Justin Pot

I thought I read this incorrectly, but I didn't. Polaroid makes...tablets. Okay! Android, by the looks of it.

Dumb question, perhaps, but is any other device connected to it? If so, what kind?

What kind of encryption are you using for the router? WPA, WPA2, WEP, etc. If it's WEP you should switch to WPA2.

With more information we might be able to help, but right now there's not enough to go on.

3. Scott Pickett

I think we need more info here. Assuming you can see the wireless signal on the tablet - are you getting any message from the tablet when you try to connect? You should know that Polaroid is a defunct company where the name is owned by a company that leases that name others to make products and stick that name on them. So the tablet you have might be of questionable build quality. So the wireless radio or chipset might be sketchy at best. That doesn't mean it won't work though.
    What version of Android is it running? Is your wireless router in a G-mode only or is it in B/G mode??

4. Barry Brown

Do you have the latest software update for Android on the tablet? I'd update it if possible and see if any updates help fix the ability to log in. I hear that Android 4.0 occasionally has trouble with WiFi anyway.

For connecting your device to router,make sure that the router has a list of allowed devices that includes your tablet(~MAC filtering).

You can add a Wi-Fi device using Windows OS -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/Add-a-Bluetooth-or-other-wireless-or-network-device-frequently-asked-questions

If you are unable to connect,try the steps mentioned in the link below -

http://homekb.cisco.com/Cisco2/GetArticle.aspx?docid=cd4bd1034861447c88432623269053f1_Unable_to_connect_wirelessly_with_an_Android_tablet.xml&pid=96&converted=0