Why won’t my Mac mount a disc it just burned?

Anonymous September 8, 2013

I burned a disc on my mac but when I re-inserted it to mount & access the program I had just burned onto it, it won’t mount. It just spits the disc back out. I inserted the same disc into my macbook and it mounted+ran perfectly. What can i do to get the disc to work properly on it’s “parent” computer?

As Jan points our, dirt on the disc or dust on the lens are common problems, so check your drive with other discs to make sure it's functioning properly. You can get cleaning kits for both discs & drives and they work well.
    If that's not the issue, try your disc on some other computers and see how it plays, it may be an issue with the disc.
    Finally, you didn't mention whether that was a CD or a DVD, but DVD media is a lot "fussier" than CDs. Some brands will only work with certain drives, and some will only be reliable up to a certain speed (the latter is also the case for CDs, but it rarely causes problems there).

Do you experience issues with any other discs? Did you try burning another disc and using it on this system?

Usually disc reading issues are either duo to a dusty or dirty optical lens or a 'bad' burning job. Of course a dusty lens would also result in the later.

My suggestion would be to burn another disc at half the maximum speed (e.g. 16x) and see if it can be read then.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)???
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US