Why won’t my laptop screen turn on after installing OpenSUSE?
Question by Mehrdad /

Hi there all,

I have a problem! Last night I installed OpenSUSE 12.2 on my system and it worked correctly last night, today it work correctly too, but when i restarted it, the display didn’t turn on. I tried holding the power button for a minute, and I also connected it to another monitor via VGA which worked fine.

It’s a laptop, so naturally I’m a bit worried. What do you advise for me?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Abba Jee

are you sure your laptop screen is in working condition ?

• Ashish Yadav

Did you see BIOS screen when you switch on the laptop, on the laptop screen?

If you do it’s a driver issue otherwise it’s a hardware issue and you need to take your laptop to service center.

• Ahmed Khalil

it is driver issue try to re install it

is it a laptop, remove the battery and boot it from the wall cable

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

I want to say it’s incompatibility issue, but you said it was working perfectly before. Did you say the second monitor works just fine? Then you might accidentally turned off the main monitor (happened to my teacher yesterday)-consult your monitor’s owner guide to find the necessary shortcut to turn it back on.

• Drew Butler

Sounds like a driver issue to me.. Did you by chance update driver packages in between when it worked fine and quit working correctly? If so you need to roll the driver back to its previous generic state.. Some hardware doesn’t play nice with certain OS. If your laptop has a Nvidia adapter this is almost definitely the problem… I’ve been through some nightmares with Nvidia and Ubuntu/Mint installations. That was one of the only reasons that I kept windows on one of my laptops LOL

• Jim Chambers

Perhapse you inadvertently turned off your laptop screen via the Fn + F# (# – number depends on laptop brand). Look in manual for key combination used to switch between laptop screen, external monitor or both.

Any errors showing up in the logs? Did you at any point inadvertantly hit the display switch (key, key combination that change your output device)?

• Mehrdad SComputer

Answer to Jim: I checked this solution, my problem is another thing,

Answer to Butler: Open-SUSE was working for me fine, and i didn’t update any driver, but when i restarted laptop, i wait some minutes and it did’t power off, so i powered it off with holding power button for some seconds, after that my problem started!,

Answer to Lisa: mine is F2(to switch between monitors), but it is not my problem,

Answer to h14: That was my first solution, but didn’t work,

Answer to Ahmed: i did it too, but no result,

Answer to Ashish: yes i saw my bios on other monitor,

And yesterday i did this too: I opened my laptop and my friend laptop(laptops are same), i connect my board ‘s flat to my friend’s monitor flat i saw my OS working fine, and i played call of duty too, then i connected my friend’ laptop to my laptop’s flat and i saw my friend;s laptop OS working fine in my screen, then i again connected my laptops board to my screen flat and it worked correctly, one hour later , when i turned on my laptop again, my screen didn’t turned on, :)
      now what is your advise