Why won’t my laptop connect to a monitor via Kensington DisplayLink docking station?

Sarah Ellison June 14, 2013

I have a new Toshiba laptop running Windows 7, and am trying to connect a Dell ST2210 monitor through a Kensington DisplayLink docking station. The docking station successfully runs my keyboard, but when I connect my monitor through the HDMI port (it’s actually connected to the docking station via an HDMI/DVI adapter), the monitor displays “No HDMI cable”. Unfortunately, I don’t have a computer with an HDMI or DVI port so that I can plug the monitor in directly to test it.

I’ve updated the driver for the DisplayLink device and all seems to be in order (it successfully connects to a Logitech keyboard).

When I try to add the monitor or mess around in the control panel, it’s like the monitor doesn’t even exist. The only monitor device I see is generic PNP monitor (I’m assuming that’s my laptop screen). When I downloaded the latest drivers from the Dell website, I couldn’t find how to install them without my computer first recognizing the existence of the monitor.

Graphics card is in Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Thanks for your help!

You say your laptop has HDMI output, so try connecting it directly to the monitor and test that that setup. If you have the same problem, you know the problem is there. If not, move on to the next thing...

• Sarah Ellison

The port on my laptop is not compatible with the adapters and cables that I have...maybe I mis-spoke in my earlier answer, as I'm suddenly not sure what the port that my laptop has is called. It's the square port with two rounded corners on the top. (The laptop is this: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-U845W-S410-14-4-Inch-Ultrabook/dp/B0086OGLUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371226587&sr=8-2&keywords=toshiba+u845)

All I know is that of all the cables that I have, none of them fits in that port! Is there another workaround so that I can try to avoid buying another connector just to test this problem?

• Oron Joffe

This model does indeed have HDMI output, which also fits your description. What inputs does your screen have?

• Oron Joffe

Oops! Just noticed you listed your monitor's model. This too supports HDMI, so all you need is a standard HDMI cable, which is cheap enough. That said, it will only tell you if the HDMI input of the monitor is working, rather than the DVI, so this idea was a duff one...
      I take it you tried the latest version of the Kensington drivers, and read the instructions carefully?

• null

Thanks for your help, Oron! I was out in the field for the last week so didn't respond, but dug up an old HDMI-HDMI cable from the boneyard and plugged it in directly to my laptop. Success! It now appears that the issue is going through the Kensington device with the VGA/DVI cable, which is still a goal of mine as I'd like a more convenient docking station (and to understand the problem).

More info: We have two monitors and two Kensingtons and two VGA/DVI cables, and I've tried all combinations with my laptop. SO, it appears to be a software issue with the Kensington device. I have installed the new driver from the Kensington website, however it installed quite strangely. Now, every time I plug in the device, it says "drivers not installed" yet if I try to reinstall the new driver, it says "drivers already installed" (all while working fine with my mouse and keyboard). Fishy...

• Oron Joffe

Sarah, yes, it stands to reason it would be the driver (it's a big ask, to redirect the video signal, designed to go through the graphics card, to the USB channels). I suggest you get in touch with Kensington's tech support. I note that they list "consumer care" phone numbers on web site - very commendable!

can be driver conflict?
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6510&review=kensington+adjustable+laptop+stand+universal+docking+station&p=2

well change cable adapter to see if things will get solved? maybe power question..

Why not use the monitors VGA connector to connect directly to laptop?

• Sarah Ellison

The laptop unfortunately only has USB ports and an HDMI port...also, the idea is to have some semblance of a docking station.