Why won’t my HP laptop output any sound?

July 10, 2013

Hi,

I have a problem with my HP laptop running Windows 7 in that it has no sound output. When I click on the sound icon in the tray, it tells me “your audio device is disabled”.

How can I enable it again?

1. Tsf O

get into DEVICE MANAGER in Control Panel seek any yellow Exclamation marks,, if none are there, i mean if you don't see any " ! " do the following 2 steps.No Harm will Come from these ok..
    1st go down to SYSTEM Devices and open the SYSTEM SPEAKER -then UNINSTALL IT.
    now close all the boxes to get back to the LIST in DEVICE MANAGER again,
    2nd (and last step to fix it)= Go down to Sound and Video Game Controllers,.. click it 2 times to open it, now UNINSTALL the sound.
    Now close out all the Boxes,get on your opening Icon main page, click start to chose RESTART. let it restart, but do not interfere with it when it is rebooting,because its installing what it needs and what was Uninstall ed automatically,, that should get correct device drivers by itself to cure the deaf tone Blues,,likely it was the ITunes took over as default device which overrides the computers soundcard OEM needed settings,..that's just a educated guess, but the drivers for these two sound items is where the root of the no sound lays either way.

2. Justin Pot

Have you recently reinstalled Windows 7, or uninstalled some programs you didn't recognize? If I had to guess I'd say you're missing the driver for your computer. Google the model number and the word "audio driver" and I'm sure you'll find something.

• Iftikhar H

no i have not installed windows. But i have done windows updates for my laptop. After that my windows has lost its speaking :p

• Justin Pot

Yeah, just look for the audio drivers and everything should be fine. And wonderful. And puppies will spontaneously appear and lick you. But mostly your sound will just start working.

Although,your laptop has Windows 7 installed,but the instructions listed in the link below has covered everything you can troubleshoot your problem and applies same as to Windows 7 -

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00833257

Right-click on the speaker icon and select Playback devices. This should list the sound devices installed on your computer and display whether they are enabled or not. It should show "Speakers", in which you should click on it and click on "Properties". Near the bottom of the window that pops up it should say "Use this device (enable)", if not, click on it to see if you can enable it. If you can't enable it, then perform the following:

Go to Device Manager (click on the Start Button, right-click on Computer, then click on Manage. Click on Device Manager and scroll through the list until you see Sound, video and game controllers and click on it. On the sound device (such as RealTek High Definition Audio), right click on it and uninstall it. After uninstall is finished, restart the computer. Windows should automatically install a basic or proper driver, which should allow the sound to play again. If this does not work, check the manufacturer's support website and check to see if there are any updates.http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support.html You can download the sound drivers there and reinstall the driver that matches your computer. Get back to us if the problem persists.