Why won’t my friend’s laptop display anything?

Shakirah Faleh Lai June 25, 2013

My friend’s laptop, ASUS K40AE had a problem. Nothing can be seen on the screen.

It has 320GB HDD, 2GB DRR2 RAM with AMD SEMPRON.

The led light at the start button lights up but nothing can be seen on the screen. I can’t load BIOS too and I can’t hear the fan spinning. So I’d replaced a 2GB RAM and a new 750GB HDD. As a result I can hear the fan spinning but still nothing appears on the screen. What should I do to resolve this?

1. Justin Pot

Try plugging the laptop into an external monitor. If that works, you know the problem: the display on the laptop is dead.

It appear to me that you would need to clean the laptop as well as tighten the connections.Also,if it doesn't works,then remove all the connections and try to seat the RAM once again.This happens with me occasionally.

id there any operating system since you changed the hard drive?
    you can connect to external monitor to check if it is not laptop monitor

4. Sagar Sanjeev

Try TO Remove battery and ram and put them again if it still does dont display anything
    then its LCD Poblem consult yor service centre

5. Phill Duplessis

If the display is not working and fan and hard drive is spinning then check RAM

6. Leland Whitlock

Have you tried hooking the laptop to a monitor to see if it is working? If not start there. If it is outputting video to the monitor then likely the screen or a cable in the laptop linking the screen to the laptop. If it is not outputting video to the monitor then there might be other hardware issues. At that point I would probably find a specialty repair shop unless you want to get your hand dirty and repair it yourself. For additional info on laptop repairs look at the following. Good luck.

http://www.laptop-repair.info/
    http://www.laptoprepair101.com/

7. Emmanuel Asuncion

I have the same problem before with my desktop PC, I turned it on and nothing seems to happen, power light is on, you can hear the HDD spinning but just that. I've read in an article that removing the power supply connection to the main board and pushing the power switch for 30 seconds will eventually revive my PC back to its previous state and it worked. Well I hope this works on your laptop, remove the battery from your laptop and disconnect the charger then push power button for 30 seconds. Hope this helps.

Well, there could be a hardware fault, but before we go there, have you pressed the "presentation key" (usually [Fn]+[F5], but may be a different combination or a special key)? This rotates the display output between the built-in screen, an external screen/projector and both.