Why won’t my desktop boot even though I replaced the power supply?
Question by JoshS /

My Dell desktop stopped working, it would sound like its turning on and the power button would show green but then turn into a yellow color. I thought it was a faulty power supply, but after replacing it, it still does the same thing.

I tried seeing if the hard drive was the issue but the hard drive is fine. Even the capacitors are fine. I’ve ran out of every possible options, is there anything I’m missing?

• Oron Joffe

You could also check to see if the CMOS battery has run flat. It looks like a large watch battery.

• william armstrong

the power from the power supply does have a motherboard connector that powers the board make sure that it is connected to the wall outlet and the motherboard

Since it is a Dell, what are the diagnostic lights on the back panel indicating? (There should be 4 LEDs that indicate various types of failures.)

• Suvadeep Paul

First open your PC’s cabinet and with the help of a vacuum cleaner suck as much dust as possible. Be careful about the wires. Next use the blower to remove the remaining dust particles. Then, remove the hardware like Processor, RAM, Graphics Cards, fans one by one. You will need a small soft brush. Clean all the heat sink and the fans with the help of the brush. Do not use any chemicals. Then remove the cable and clean-up the jacks and then plug it in. Always do one at a time otherwise you might get confused. After thorough cleaning and double checking whether you have re-installed everything properly try to start your PC. If you have multiple HDD only connect the system drive. If the problem persists then check the RAM. Take out all the RAMs and use one RAM on all the slots one by one and try to start your PC. Try with all the RAM modules you have. If it works then either one of RAM or the RAM slot has some problem. If testing the RAM don’t work then check the Graphics card. If you have two graphics cards say for example one on PCIE slot and other motherboard integrated, check whether your PC is working with the integrated graphics or not. If you have SLI or Crossfire then try the same process as the RAM. I had faced this kind of similar problem and it worked for me. Only difference is you have Dell and I had HP. If the above solutions don’t work then my opinion is get your system checked by a professional.

perhaps ram problems, do you hear any beep and if yes how many beeps?

Power Button Light Codes
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op380/en/SM/DT/diags.htm#diaglight

remove every cord and screw near the power button area, clean dust. or use airgun

• Adam Campbell

I have run into boot problems, which I have been able to solve with the aforementioned manual, thanks for sharing ha14

• Alan Wade

Disconnect your graphics card and all other hard drives other than the system (usually C) drive then try.
    It is difficult to nail it down when, as the others have posted, it could one of so many things.
    How old is the computer?

• Junil Maharjan

have you checked the motherboard or the cpu or any other parts of the pc?

• Jim Chambers

Perhaps CPU or GPU is overheating. Are all the fans running on bootup? Try reseating CPU (must reapply heat-sink compound), RAM modules, video card and other connectors on MB. Remove dust from heat-sinks.

• Josh Stanzak

I’ve taken the computer apart piece by piece and cleaned what i could. i re applied the thermal compound on the CPU and it still wont work

• Ramandeep Singh

May be you’ve replaced outer power supply. What about inner structure of power. I think the problem should be there.