Why won’t my computer recognize my Western Digital Passport hard drive?

December 15, 2013

My WD Passport portable external hard drive does not show on my computer. External light keeps blinking, internal motor seems to be running. Have updated the firm ware, driver etc, didnt help. how can I extract the data out of it?

1. Angelina L

maybe your western digital hard drive has some problem, you can try to do a western digital data recovery to recover the data inside. and then try again on your computer.
    http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/other-recovery-software/free-western-digital-wd-disk-recovery.htm

2. Ajay G

It is not recognized by disk management but but shows on the device manager. WD Data Lifeguard diagnostics also recognizes it and tests results were good. but at the same it was showing 0Mb (2TB actually). I unplugged all other drives and USBs to run firmware updater program, which confirmed in the end that it has been updated. Then I installed firmware updater program on another computer to check, and then it said that its already updated. Seems like the disk itself has the problem. so is there any way I can get data out of it?

3. Ajay Grewal

Hi everybody, thanks for your replies. I have tried it on more than one computer and it does not work.
    It does show on device manager, not on disk management. And I ran WD Data life diagnostic, and it passed their tests.
    And getting back to Hovsep's question, as instructed by the program, I uninstalled all other hard disks and USBs, I ran the program. In the end, the program confirmed that firmware has been updated. And I also tried it on the other computer, and the program found that firmware is already updated.
    So I guess there is something wrong with the drive itself. But is there anyway to retrieve the data from it?

Putting it very simply, there is either a problem with the drive or with the computer. Test the drive first on another computer to exclude that possibility. If the problem is not with the drive, and assuming that it HAD worked on your computer previously, try this:
    Run "Windows Disk Management". If the drive shows there, you may find a clue as to the cause of the problem (partition showing as "RAW" means that the drive's filing system got mangled, or there may be a letter conflict between your drive and another drive on your PC).
    If the drive does not show up, run the "Device Manager" and look for the drive. It should appear both under USB (as a USB Mass Storage Device, probably under the manufacturer's name), and under "Disk Drives". If it doesn't show up there, there's either a problem with your USB ports (plug something else in to test them) or with the drive itself

5. Stephen

Is it recognized on other computers?

how have you updated the firmware, normally you should plug WD passport to pc, wait to be recognized then run the firmware updater, then reboot pc. Do you mean it was recognized before your operation?