Why won’t my computer power on?
Question by girish kumar /

I resized C:\ using EaseUS which did it’s job and was working for two days. On third day i was working on some software and suddenly saw a dotted / scratched display on monitor which didn’t go off .

Later, i had to reboot the PC and still found the same issue.

Today, when i power on my PC does not respond at all.I can ear the CPU fan noise but nothing is shown on monitor. The keyboard isn’t responding. I bypassed monitor and keyboard to my laptop and see they are working fine. Not sure how to troubleshoot.

One of my friend recommended to format the hard disk by connecting on to another system and later connect to system installing fresh copy of OS. Like to know if any of you can share additional tips.

• Chanuka Fernando

remove the VGA and try the onboard one or a friends one if still not then format your pc and instrall your os system againg and see

• girish kumar

Thank you everyone for assisting me in probing the issue. Some of you had confusion whether the issue was desktop / laptop. Sorry for not making it clear and to answer your question, it was desktop. Like i said in my initial response, i did bypassed keyboard and monitor by connecting to my laptop and found both were working good.

Coming to the result, i didn’t tried verifying my graphic card bcos i somehow felt it wasn’t a problem. I googled quite a while in internet and picked up a solution by reseating RAM.

Steps followed:
    1. Removed all peripherals that was connected to PC including Power cable
    2. Removed RAM
    3. Cleaned the connector part using dry cloth. I didn’t rubbed it bcos it may induce static charge which can damage my computer.
    4. Reconnect RAM and ensure it gets locked
    5. Connect all peripherals including power cable
    6. Start the system

Result:
    system is back to work

• Emmanuel Asuncion

So this problem is solved, please flag this as resolved. Thank you.

If you can’t see anything on-screen, how do you know the keyboard is not working? In most cases, you should be able to hit the CapsLock, NumLock, or ScrollLock keys and see the LED indicators change. In the vast majority of cases, if those LEDs can change states, the keyboard is working. Since the monitor is working on another machine, the problem has been reduced to the video card. Most likely it is not a problem of the machine not booting up, it just cannot display anything.

If your computer is using a discrete video card and also has on-board video, remove the discrete card and connect the monitor to the on-board and try booting the machine again.

• Alan Wade

Can you explain a little clearer just what you bypassed and how?

“Today, when i power on my PC does not respond at all.I can ear the CPU fan noise but nothing is shown on monitor. The keyboard isn’t responding. I bypassed monitor and keyboard to my laptop and see they are working fine. Not sure how to troubleshoot.”

Is it a desktop or a laptop?

• Oron Joffe

If you can see nothing in the screen when you switch the computer on, not even at POST (i.e. before Windows loads up), then this is either a hardware or a BIOS problem, NOT a problem with Windows. Therefore formatting the disc will not help at all and will only makes things harder once you’ve resolved the original problem.
    It sounds to me like there’s a problem with your graphics card. If it’s a laptop, I’m really not sure how to proceed further without taking it to a hardware technician, but if it’s a desktop machine then you could borrow a suitable graphics card from someone (or buy a cheap one) and try the PC with it.

remove the graphic card and try to boot on the onboard graphic card just to check if it is not graphic card problem.