Why won’t my computer boot at all?
Question by Mohammad Hamzani Salleh /

My PC cannot boot. I have tried all the options in the manual as well as common stuff but nothing happens. When I power on my PC, all components are running but nothing appears on screen – just a blank screen without any error message.

I have tried to diagnose it myself. First I tried changing the hard drive but nothing happens or boots at all. Then I tried changing the IDE cable but nothing happened also. Then I switched the CPU to an old one that i have… nothing happened. I then tried to use a display adapter rather than onboard graphics and nothing happened. Lastly I tried to unplug all cables to the hard drive and optical drive, unplugged the RAM and switched on. Nothing happened, no nag screen, no blue screen, no beeping sound due to RAM missing or what not… just nothing at all.

The system, including power lights, is on. All hard drives and RAM is running, CPU also run, fans are all okay but nothing appears on my screen. What could be the problem?! Thanks!

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

Make sure all power cables are properly connected including the ATX and any additional P4 connector of the motherboard.

As Bruce already said if you removed the RAM and got no beep error it indicates a problem with the core hardware meaning the CPU or the motherboard. This is true to the point of you actually having a “beeper” meaning one soldered on the motherboard or an external one connected via the small connector pins.

Here is what I can suggest at this time:
    Unplug the power cord and press the BIOS reset button if available or remove the small battery from the motherboard for a few seconds. This should rule out any problems with the BIOS settings.

You can replug the power supply and try turning the computer on ~ or since you are already “on level” with your computer case wait with re-plugging and go over the next step.

Make sure the power supply cable is not plugged in into the outlet. Use either another graphics card or better onboard VGA/DVI connector if available and power on (obviously you have to connect the power supply now).

If there is nothing on the screen (no BIOS, POST, …) then it’s either the CPU, motherboard or BIOS chip.

I assume you don’t have another BIOS EEPROM of the same size, type and version so your best option is to go to the next computer professional (as in a local store).

• Mohammad Hamzani Salleh

yeah that what i think also.. cause this is the 3rd time my pc had a problem. it start with my hdd is corrupt, then follow up by my grafix card is broke now it totaly frozen… no clue of what happen since nothing flash on screen n no beeping sound is made.. all system hardware is running. all fan, hdd is okay but i notice 2 thing 1 when i plug the secondary ide to my primary n secondary rom, only secondary rom detect but is kinda “hang” since the light is not turn off or blinking while none or nothing cane be done including open up the tray in both rom. 2 my ps2 slot for mouse n keyboard can’t be used.. if i plug the ps2 converter there with mouse n keyboard, my system cannot boot at all last time. so i used usb instead. maybe that what sign that my motherboard is poorly in health i think. so many thank for all info.. i just hope i can solve it my self with the help in here. but since i have none of spare of motherboard n powersupply, the best choice is send to specialist or expert. thank guy….

• Cean Lumbaca

Your computer might have infected by a virus

• Mohammad Hamzani Salleh

okay here a more detail on my problem.. last know reason befor it behave like this is i install hard disk power wash n at the end of installation i not uncheck at run this program n click okay. then my pc rash n restarted itself. then a day after that the symptoms happen i tried many thing but not minded inside chasing. then after a day of “sleep” walla. it can reboot on to window n i take that anvantage to reformat the system n reinstall all program except the one that i dont use before. the system all green for 1 day. fully funtion. but after that when i want to boot last 2day i got the same symptom hapen again. so this time i brave myself to diagnose inside chasing. i remove all cable at 1st n start, nothing happen including any beeping sound. none at all. so i tried to insert ide cable only n left power out, same also. then i tried change the hard disk. nothing happen also. then tried toreplace cpu to old one. nothing happen also. i also tried other monitor that i have spare, same symptom. i tried all kind of action include clear cmos, clean the inside, remove unnecessary item and still nothing. but today before i came to my sister toupdate in this issues, i tried to boot, luckily it boot n show i need to reset all thing in dos since i clear all think. so i set all back n choose load system fail safe to default setting n adjust some that i dont need. but sadly after it save n exit. i cant reboot back to windows or even dos n the symptom happen again. but this time i saw the primary cdrw rom not funtionally when ide cable is insert n the slave dvdrom light turn on without blinking at all. but when i remove ide it back to normal. so i wanna know how to detect malfunction power supply, bad motherboard, or ide cable not good or any other issue. i really appreciate all respone.. do ask if any question u want to know that help u to help me. i will reply soon. thank

• Clif

Hi, You don’t say what PC it is but assuming it’s a laptop there is a key combination which turns of the display. It is Function & F6
    Hold down the Fn key and press F6
    Hope that helps.
    Cliff

• Oron

From your description, it sounds as if it’s the screen that is the culprit! It could be the screen itself, or the cable, so test it with another PC and see how you get on.

Since you don’t get a beep code when removing the RAM, you are looking at one of 4 culprits. The processor is shot, the motherboard itself is toast, or your power supply has an issue. The last one tends to be the most common. One of your power connectors is not fitted properly. Reseat all connections, especailly any 4-pin connector near the processor and try again.

hope that windows is still on your hard drive and not erased.

remove the graphic card and boot on the integrated graphic card.

reset cmos battery or replace.

perhaps to flash BIOS or to update, go to the manufacturer site and get the answer from there.