Why won’t my AV receiver recognise this USB flash drive?

Les Wung May 2, 2013

Hi,

I’ve been using Kingston DT101G2/64GB with my Pioneer AV receiver and I like the price and capacity so I bought another Kingston DT101G2/64GB. However, after formatting the USB flash drive on my Windows 7 PC and moving music files (and testing whether the files can be played with VLC), the Pioneer refused to recognise the USB flash memory.

I checked both Kingston and found both are now exFAT with 128 allocation unit size and everything including driver version is the same.

Can you please help me solve this mystery? Many thanks.

First thing you must know that exFat is new file format which is successor to FAT format and supports drives capacity over 4 GB which was a limitation of FAT.

In order for companies to support exFAT and incorporate them into their devices,they would need to sign license agreements with Microsoft and only a single company has signed till now.Signing a license agreement requires money and it can be huge for some companies to afford.

Now,all you have to do is to format your drive back to NTFS format.

it can be because the connector of Kingston DT101G2;, now if one is recognized and not the other do the operation again and choose a good formatting software like Easeus partition manager or guiformat tool
    http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/EASEUS-Partition-Manager.shtml

I don't really understand why you would have formatted a new drive on your PC, but anywho...

When you got the first flash drive, did you reformat that drive yourself too? If not, it could have something to do with ACLs since exFAT supports them and Windows likes to slap its preferred defaults into them for any drive it can during formatting. So, all of your files may have permissions that do not allow the receiver to access them.