Why won’t iTunes let me restore my iOS device?
Question by Yaqoob Almujaini /

Hi there,

I tried to reset my iDevice settings and data, but it took a long time to finish so I didn’t wait and I switched it off, but now it won’t start again. I went to iTunes to restore the software but I couldn’t.

Can you help? What can I do?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Bhavuk Jain

You probably have jailbreaked the device that’s why it was taking time and that loading would never have ended.
    Now just download the latest software of your device from itunes by plugging your device and then click on restore.
    However, as you said that the device is not starting then it will not be shown on the itunes. So you probably have to go to the service center.

• Boni Oloff

Does the iTunes it self already updated?

• Naveen Kumar

first check itunes has recognize your idevice and then try to restore it. if not get help from this article

1) press and hold the “Home” button and plug your iPhone into PC with iTunes installed. Keep holding the “Home” button until you see a dock cable pointing to the iTunes icon. If you have older iPhone will display a yellow triangle and text which says “Please Connect to iTunes”. Once you see this image, you can release the Home button.
    2)Open iTunes and you will get the message “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.” Click “OK” and you will be taken to the iPhone pane. Click “Restore”

1)plug in your iPhone and turn it off. Hold down the “Home” and “Sleep/Wake” buttons for about 15 seconds.
    2)You will see for short time the silver Apple logo and then your phone will appear to turn back off.
    3)Release the “Sleep/Wake” button and continue to hold the “Home” button until you see a message in iTunes stating detected an iPhone in recovery mode.
    4)Choose “Restore” and hope will fix the problem.

• Drew Butler

1. Make sure you are running the newest version of iTunes. (Try again after updating if this is needed) 2. Check iTunes for the correct ispw file for your device and try resetting it to that instead of newer updated firmware versions. (You can update after it is restored to factory firmware and software version for your specific device model.) if you receive an error code during this message write it down and then search the error code on google. There are certain error codes that can only be fixed at a store.(that will more than likely come with a cost… Especially if the device isn’t very new. Hope this helps

• Boni Oloff

You need to bring it to the Apple Store i think. That’s the easiest way.

What wouldn’t start again, the restore process or the iDevice itself?

• HonYin Kok

First you need to make sure your iTunes logon account matches your iDevice. If you have purchase done from your iDevice, you can transfer purchase back to iTunes to sync it back later. You also need to enable sync for your app on iTunes and you may selectively choose the apps you want to sync to your iDevice. Hope this helps.