Why won’t Internet Download Manager let me download large FLV and MP4 files?
Question by SaM Uchiha /

I have a problem with Internet Download Manager. Whenever I try to download an .FLV or .MP4 file using IDM it doesn’t let me download it.

For example, if I want to download 319MB .FLV file video plays and IDM shows its download icon. When I put my mouse over that download icon it shows there “FLV File 319 MB” and then after clicking on it the download box appears. It shows there’s an .FLV but doesn’t show the size of video.

I have tried to download without letting it show that but Internet Download Manager gives an error and the same goes for MP4 files. I even reinstalled Windows to fix this problem but I am still facing the same problem. I can download 10MB of .FLV or .MP4 files but no bigger than that.

I have Windows XP installed. Anyone know anything about this problem? i have the latest version of IDM 6.12 (Build 26).

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Steve K

Having the same issue as OP. I found out the problem was Hotspot Shield for me. None of the above suggestions help.

so then what should i do now i mean what IP software should i use ? if Hotspot Shield is the main problem ?

I always use the free FlashVideoDownloader firefox plug-in. Much more simple. Here’s the link:

http://fvdsuite.com/

• Bahram

I have the same problem somehow! Recently when I open a page that there’s an embedded video in it (like youtube, dailymotion ,..) the IDM toolbar “Download this video” will be shown and after clicking on it, IDM makes a mistake and shows the download window with the incorrect file size! for example when I wanna try downloading a large and HQ video file in Youtube, IDM starts downloading and shows the 516KB or 1.65MB for the file size! when the downloading of this video (1.65MB!!) completed, I try to open the file but the file won’t open because it is broken or something like that. I searched the net and found out there are people which have this problem, and all of the use IDM but nobody can solve the problem yet!
    I was wondering if somebody could help me solve this problem.
    IDM ver 6.12 build 26
    Browser: Google Chrome ver. 23; Mozilla FirerFox 16
    O.S: Windows 8 Enterprise x64
    (note: I’ve had this problem with both IDM 6.07 and 6.12 in both Windows 7 ultimate and Windows 8 Enterprise)

• Din One

try free downloader like orbit, im using it for year and no problem…

I have downloaded a 3 GB+ file. So, I don’t think there’s a problem with the size of the file. I regularly download Youtube videos etc which are rather big too. Most probably, there could be a limit to what the website puts there. Else, is your internet connection stable? try DAP. I found it an excellent download manager software.

• dhanunjayarao chunduri

is your idm is fully activated or using a trail version you can use freemake video downloader for downloading videos only.

• Alan Wade

Uninstall IDM then download and install Windows Install ,CleanUp Tool.
    Run it and look for IDM.
    If you see it, put a check mark in the box and click OK.
    Now run a reg cleaner like CCleaner and run it.
    If possible, downlöoad and install the previous version of IDM and see if that works.

• Night Watcher

Well okay then I’ll try that one … guess i have no choice but to listen to all of you guys

• SaM Uchiha

okay Sir
      well i did whatever you said first i uninstalled IDM completely and then Delete my windows and re install it and then used Ccleaner there’s no IDM stuff there and i installed IDM 6.12.24 but the problem is same as before

• Qin Tang

On which website you were trying to download the videos?

• Bobbi Bach-Oachs

Ok well I downloaded foxfire just for downloading flash files. The apps are Ant Video Downloader, Net Video Downloader, and Flash and Video Downloader. As far as google chrome you could try bitcomet, because I have gotten that to work before.

• Nicola De Ieso

Try to use JDownloader that doesn’t have problems