Why won’t Avast! let me install BitDefender?

Nancy B July 2, 2013

I recently downloaded the free version of Bitdefender after reading the article here. It’s downloaded and in my temporary files, but each time I go to manually install it tries to install when I re-boot. Avast  (which is already installed) takes over, and it seems to just update Avast! and stop Bitdefender being installed on my PC.

Do I have to remove Avast! and then install Bitdefender?

Do I need to re-install Avast! after that or does Bitdefender cover everything Avast! does?

Totally confused!

1. Omstavan S

When you install two anti virus at the same time they can often be conflicting and mark each other as harmful programs as both access files to scan them without direct permission of the user. so it is advisable not to use two anti virus simultaneously to avoid system problems and crashing!

2. Tanim I

Stick with Avast. Avast is the best free antivirus solution at the moment. And two antivirus in a PC is a big no no

3. Nancy B

Thanks for the info guys!
    I thought that was the problem.
    You are right I've had no problems with Avast free edition and the trial version of Bitdefender is only for 30 days then I'd have to uninstall it and re-install Avast.
    Bitdefender might be #1 in the world, but if you can't afford to pay for it, not going to be of much use.
    Hopefully I can win one of the free licenses in the constest going on now in MUO.

• Bruce E

If you want to use a full version of Bitdefender, I have license keys I have not used. I happened to find a sale where I picked up 20 of them for 23 cents each. Let me know and I will arrange to get a key to you.

• Chinmay S

You don't need to win the contest. Bitdefender Internet Security 2013(1 year license) was available in the Rewards section for 600 points. But now with the new updated system it is currently not available. MakeUseOf TechGuy is adding more softwares in the rewards, so stay tuned.

• Omstavan S

Its now available in rewards section! hurry up! :)

• Nancy B

Bruce E sounds great but how are you going to get me that info?

• Nancy B

Chinmay S and Omstavan S I don't have that many points to get it from the Rewards system!

As Tim and others have said, you can only install one AV package at a time. You are fortunate that AVAST has blocked you from installing BitDefender, as having two packages at the same time would probably lock up the computer (and this can be VERY difficult to resolve). BTW, this is one reason why some packages are marketed as "anti spyware", as they ARE safe to run simultaneously with AV products.

Avast Free version Antivirus has a detector behaviour and a sandbox so you can stop the attack of zero hour threats.

i am not saying that bitdefender free is bad because it cant be bad but if you need sandbox feature then check Avast.

6. Chinmay S

You are trying to compare Avast with World no. 1 Antivirus Bitdefender! Avast doesn't have what Bitdefender has and Bitdefender has much more than any other Antivirus have.

7. Alan W

If you are determing to try BitDefender (I did and it was on my computer for nearly an hour!) then uninstall Avast first. The Avast Uninstall Utility will help you to completely uninstall it.
    Available here: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Sorry, I'd stick with Avast, not suck.

I agree with Tim as you do not want to have more than one antivirus software, abd I'd suck with AVAST as well. Several of the geek websites (like http://www.majorgeeks.com) do not recommend Bitdefender, even though for many users out may be fine. They actually highly recommend Panda Cloud (even the free version) over most of the other antivirus options out there (including Avast). If you haven't had any issues with Avast, then I wouldn't change to another one and have to learn how it works and how to use it.

10. Tim Brookes

Your problems stem from trying to install two antivirus programs. Basically, this is a big no-no and should be avoided as it can cause all sorts of problems such as false positives and almost constant bickering between the two. The main reason for this is that your antivirus program is probably the most intrusive program on your PC, scanning and scrutinizing files. To another antivirus, this doesn't look good (because it has no way of telling "good" from "bad", it just sees a potential threat, slams on the brakes and stops the lot).

Even if you had managed to install the two at the same time you would probably have only had issues in the future. There is little need for more than one antivirus, and even multiple anti-malware programs can cause issues from time to time.

If I were you, in all my experience of using Windows (I now use OS X), I'd stick with Avast. It's the best free antivirus that won't send you adverts or try to sell you a more expensive, "complete" version. I'm not saying Bitdefender isn't good I'm just speaking from personal experience. Avast has never let me down once, and I'd always recommend it above all else (that's why I installed it on my dad's PC in the UK before I went to live in Australia, lol).