Why will my laptop no longer detect its hard drive?

vardhann5 February 1, 2013

I own a Dell Studio 1435 Laptop which has a WD 320GB internal hard drive.
While watching a movie, the laptop gave a blue screen error. I restarted it and at bios it gave a error boot device not found.
Checked in bios and the system is not able to detect the hard drive.
I tried using it as a slave in other laptop with no detection.
Also tried using it as an external HD with SATA cable but that didn’t work out.

What can be done?

1. Prashant Mirjankar

If you can not hear any sound or feel of harddisk starting up probably it would have gone dead...... do not risk of changing the drive board all by yourself as it is not the harddisk of any desktop. Take your HDD to the nearest service centre and ask them to change the circuit board. Hope you recover all your data.

2. Aska Nag

Hi!
    Very sorry for you. Read this article, it may help you.
    http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnotebookclub.org%2Farticle%2Fgeneral%2F17-notebook-diagnostic.html
    The article is in Russian language, used the Google translator.

3. scott krupnick

The best solution, even on the worst case hard drives is using easy recovery professional. It has never failed me. connect the hard drive through external enclosure. Even with hard drives that were clicking, it detected the drive and I got everything off it.

4. Dimal Chandrasiri

Check whether the HDD is working.. if it's working you would be able to hear some humming noise from it! if it doesn't start, your HDD must have failed over time! if u have warranty, request a new HDD and for data recovery!

5. Harshavardhan Reddy

Thanks babu.. Will definitely give it a try...

you can buy a similar WD 320GB and transfer the old one into this new one and see if Bios will detect.

does linux live cd detects it?

you can try to reset cmos battery and see this will help? or replace with new one.
    Probably the disk controller has broken

• Harshavardhan Reddy

well, my laptop detects a 500GB HD from my other laptop.. and the the other laptop is not detecting this HD aswell.. So surely its a problem with the HD..
      Probably should try it out on a LINUX system... but i dont know any one who has a Linux system.
      Also, i spoke to a system recovery company and they quoated a high price for the recovery... (about 1000 $)

yap company aid is not cheap at all and depends on the hard drive size i guess.

If you can mount the hard drive on another pc as slave try HDD Regenerator
        http://www.dposoft.net/hdd.html
        you have to install and make a live cd first, then boot on it and see if it will detect the hard drive then it will scan to fix errors and this can take some hours and even days! depending on the errors found.

• Harshavardhan Reddy

are you sure this software will work ??

i had hard drive error on laptop and imminent hard drive failure messages, used the soft which scanned and repaired the problem. Now my hard drive was detected by BIOS while yours is not, i am not sure if the soft can detect it and do its work, it is up to you to decide what to do. If there is a trial version then you can see if it will detect the hard drive. For future in order to predict hard drive problems install some monitoring tools like Hard disk Sentinel...

7. Rubis Song

You have given all the symptoms of a dead HDD. I can assume your bios didn't have SMART to inform you that your disk is about to crash. You will be lucky if you can recover your file. Good luck and sorry!

• Harshavardhan Reddy

hmmm.. Thanks for the information

your hard drive may have broken. get someone to get all your files and folders and important documents then buy a new one.

• Harsha

How can the drive break ? I haven't thrown it down or anything... It was just running a movie and all of sudden it stopped... Restarted it and it said can not detect the drive...
      Any more suggestions please ?

Question: can you hear or feel the drive repeatedly starting up and after a few seconds slow to a stop? This would indicate a component failure on the drive's board and unless you have an exact replacement board that the drive is junk.

• Harsha

No, I don't hear any kind of sounds from the drive...
      I have shown it to one of the data recovery company and they have given a quotation of 30,000 INR.. Not sure what was wrong...

• Harshavardhan Reddy

I do not get to hear any kind of noise upon plugging into the system...