Why so I sometimes see an unknown drive on my computer that I cannot access?

Whyzat March 26, 2013

I have an unknown Drive Q: on my computer. When I try to access it “ACCESS DENIED” message comes up.

I don’t like having anything on my computer I can’t find out what is. How can I get rid of this monster? It shows up sometimes when I check my computer and sometimes it doesn’t.

1. Réy Aétar

r u using a 3g dongle or a card reader that has no card in it???

Your computer may have been zombified by a bot-net. Run a full scan with Malwarebytes in safe mode and delete found items.

3. Chris Marcoe

What are you doing when it shows up? Do you have a flash drive that you can't read? Do you have anything else plugged in you can't access?

Maybe try to right-click it when you see it. Might give a clue as to what it is.

The next time you see in show up on your system, find out what it is mapped to in Disk Management (right-click on Computer & select Manage from the context menu then choose Disk Management in the left-hand pane and look for the Q: drive in the right-hand pane).

Could it be a recovery partition perhaps?

A recovery partition perhaps?

have you installes a virtualization software, program designed to let Windows see a Linux file system like ext2fsd....

Click-to-Run: Delivering Office in the 21st Century
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/office2010/archive/2009/11/06/click-to-run-delivering-office-in-the-21st-century.aspx
    Click-to-Run users may notice that they have a virtual Q: drive on their PCs, this is the virtual file system used by Office.
    so Uninstall Office 2010 Click to run if you have