Why isn’t Windows 8’s international keyboard working properly?

Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda February 21, 2013

So I just upgraded to Windows 8, and it seems that the accenting of certain characters to make them have tildes, accutes, graves, etc. doesn’t work so well. When I hit the apostrophe key before the letter A, it shows up as this:

So basically what I’m trying to do is instead of entering an A with two quotation marks in front of it, I just enter a regular A with an accute. It worked on Windows 7, before I upgraded to Windows 8, but for some reason it just doesn’t work as well. I end up having to copy and paste. Help would be much appreciated, thank you!

uninstall keyboard driver, reboot.

Go in the Control Panel, change view to Category, under Clock, Language and Region, click change input methods and download /install US International

How to use the United States-International keyboard layout

Check and if necessary change your keyboard layout. This Microsoft link will tell you exactly how to do that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258824

check the keyboard settings and drivers.